Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New study on NFL Pass Protection Rankings Shocker
(10-22-2022, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NFL pass protection rankings: Why the Bucs and Patriots have league's best O-Lines:
Larry Holder - The Athletic

Who's got your quarterback's back? And who's getting your quarterback pummeled?

Even through a six-week NFL sample size, it's mostly apparent that the team that protects the quarterback the best wins the most games. I emphasize mostly.

I took a dive, with the massive assistance of TruMedia, into how every NFL team's offensive line has performed in terms of quarterback pressures and sacks allowed. I focused mainly on pressure percentage for teams and individuals as a determining factor in who's protecting or not protecting their respective quarterback well.

Bengals one of 3 best:
     The Bengals seem like a total contradiction. They lead the league in sacks allowed. And yet they're the third best in terms of pressure percent allowed? And Joe Burrow unloads the football at the fourth-fastest rate in the league at 2.43 seconds? The sack-per-pressure rate probably tells
more of the story. If Burrow receives pressure, he's more likely than just about any other quarterback to absorb a sack. Left tackle Jonah Williams, the only starter remaining from last season, still seems like the sore spot along the front five with a below-average pressure rate allowed. He's also tied for second in terms of most sacks allowed.

On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and tackle Lael Collins hold above-average pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson holds a nearly average rate. Those results are far better than what Burrow and the Bengals had to put up with last season.

Thanks Bfine as I was thinking the same thing as Truck. Was hard to read, this is much better.

This shows how much time it has taken for our OL to gel and also shows just the way Burrow likes to play, he is a home run
hitter and it is the only way he likes to play right now but hopefully the Saints game was the start of a new Burrow that also 
can play the short game as well and just be the Point Guard that he can be. The home runs will come with our weapons.

In the mean time need to take what the Defense gives you.

Our O-line is coming around in this Power Gap scheme which fits their strengths, this is what we needed to see for this 
Offense to really make the jump to elite.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New study on NFL Pass Protection Rankings Shocker - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 10-22-2022, 05:28 PM