Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals should be actively exploring trades...
(10-27-2022, 03:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Higgins was hurt for the better part of 2 games though, which means a WR4 would only see those snaps in an injury sitch.

And what's the odds that none of Chase/Higgins/Boyd get hurt, injured, or even dinged up mid-game for the rest of the season? 

Chiefs just spent a 2nd round pick in the 2022 draft on a 4th WR and still just traded for Kadarius Toney. 
Last year the Rams probably don't win the Superbowl when Robert Woods went down if they hadn't already traded for OBJ prior.

Plus if you get a good 4th WR, you'll just find snaps for them. None of those top-3 play 100% of the offensive snaps anyway.

(10-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: been down this road before.. look at the stats for WR4 across the league, they barely get touches.. sure we might be getting less touches but when you are 4th-6th option the WR tree you are not much of a target on a play, also Thomas is one of our best blockers so he is in more to block than anything which does add value 

If we are going to trade (giving up draft capital) for someone to contribute to the team this year, it is not  at 4WR... I could see TE though the more i think about it

There's a lot of bad QBs/bad passing offenses that I don't care about. I don't care what the 4th WRs are on non-passing offenses like Daniel Jones/Lamar Jackson/Zach Wilson/Justin Fields. I don't care what the 4th WRs are on teams getting top-5 or top-10 picks. They're probably not even having their WR2s and WR3s putting up good numbers. I care about the good teams because that's what the Bengals are/are aiming to be.

2021 Playoff Teams 4th WRs
Bills: Gabriel Davis 35/549/6
Raiders: Zay Jones 47/546/1
Chiefs: Demarcus Robinson 25/264/3
Steelers: Ray-Ray McCloud 39/277/0
Titans: Chester Rodgers 30/301/1
Cowboys: Cedrick Wilson Jr 45/602/6
Eagles: Greg Ward 7/95/3
Patriots: N'Keal Harry 12/184/0
Packers: Randall Cobb 28/375/5
Buccaneers: Tyler Johnson 36/360/0
Rams: DeSean Jackson 8/221/1 and Odell Beckham Jr 27/305/5 (traded one and signed the other halfway in)
Cardinals: Rondale Moore 54/435/1
49ers: Mohamed Sanu 15/177/0

Bengals: Mike Thomas 5/52/0

Non-Bengals Average: 
31.4 catches
360.8 yards
2.5 TDs

The 3 non-Bengal playoff teams that had their 4th WR get less than 250 yards (Eagles, 49ers, Patriots) had the 1st, 7th, and 8th rushing offenses. The Bengals don't have a good enough rushing game to not rely on heavily passing the ball.

The Bengals simply got lucky last year that Chase/Higgins/Boyd managed to play in most of the games. We've seen what happened this year when a WR gets hurt. The Bengals are 0-2 this year when Mike Thomas plays more than 33% of the snaps, and were 0-1 last year in the same situation. In his career his teams are 1-7 when he plays more than a third of the offensive snaps.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals should be actively exploring trades... - TheLeonardLeap - 10-27-2022, 04:42 PM