Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tulsi Gabbard: I’m leaving the Democratic Party
(11-08-2022, 01:21 PM)Dill Wrote: ?? I'm the one who brought up interwar fascisms. 

And the comparison did not concern individuals but political organization/structure and conditions on the ground.

Oh alright, sorry then, never mind. Guess I misread or rather said this anyway so no one accuses me of having made a direct comparison.

(11-08-2022, 01:21 PM)Dill Wrote: Not sure what you mean by "failed" if McCarthy and Nixon are the examples. 
E.g., Nixon chose resignation over impeachment. That is the system working.

It is not working now. 

That appears to be a contradiction of sorts. And a system either reliaby works or it does not work at all.

Maybe it wasn't the system working back then, but people in the right places doing the right thing, something your system depends on upon all other factors. These people were eventually present then, they are not present now.

And while the same thing might indeed be true for other democracies. The ones in Europe have way more direct and indirect safeguards in place. Starting with us actually being able to charge our leaders with crimes. But mainly with us not experiencing uncondinional loyalty to one person on such a massive scale. There's a reason why Russian propaganda worked so much better in the US than here, and it was not for lack of trying on Putin's part. It's because US citizens are extremely susceptible to accept anything as true as long as it helps their side, which again is a result of there only being two polarized sides staring at each other in increasing disdain. But I guess that leads to your next response already.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tulsi Gabbard: I’m leaving the Democratic Party - hollodero - 11-08-2022, 02:31 PM