Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tulsi Gabbard: I’m leaving the Democratic Party
(11-08-2022, 05:43 AM)hollodero Wrote: So that is one issue, the way you seem to make the GOP side more responsible than the Dem side. And to a degree, I see it the same way. It's of course irrelevant to evaluate the dangers of a two-party system, one side taking advantage of its eternal flaw is sufficient. I understand what Limbaugh et al. did, I just claim that they could do so in an already simplistic, strictly dualistic system, where whatever outrageous thing anyone says is trumped by the fact that he fights for the right team. But of course I also give the liberal side, including the media, plenty of blame for the division too. I know I can never convince you of that though, not even in the slightest actually. A fact I attribute to you also being beholden to one side in the two-sided affair, in the end for you it's about blaming Republicans. As I said, fair enough, they're the ones with Trump, that are fine with him asking for overturning results and storming capitols and talking about fraud or stop the count when he's ahead and all that. They're actually trying the coup (or are idly standing by and having no issue with it), sure, while blaming the other side of doing so. Which they do all the time actually, Goebbels playbook. So I get that. But to me that's all symptoms, not the underlying issue. And it doesn't mean the other side is blameless in their own extremes and their own demand of loyalty to their own no matter what.

I do indeed "seem" to make the GOP side more responsible--for the reasons you "seem" to give in the second bolded. 

You CAN convince me that the liberal side or "liberal media" are as much to blame--but you need evidence. Vague references to liberal "extremes" won't do it. 

Like I say, there is no Tip O'Neill memo. Dems didn't storm the capital. Whatever their "extremes," they pale in comparison to naked autogolpe.

I spent most of the 90s and the first decade of this millennium criticizing the ethnocentrism and class bias of the MSM.

But when democracy itself is under threat, a situation for which right wing media holds primary responsibility, I'm not misguidedly noting "both sides do it" when this is heard in ways that undermine recognition of the current danger, especially by people desperately looking for false equivalence. The clarity of this division needs to be said and, for whoever will listen, demonstrated. 

Saying that is just about blaming Republicans, like that's the point and not steering the country back on track, is no different from saying that when you post one of your marvelous recaps of Trump malfeasance, it's only because you "hate" Trump, not because you and I and others understand that that behavior harms democracy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tulsi Gabbard: I’m leaving the Democratic Party - Dill - 11-08-2022, 07:13 PM