Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tee needs to tee off on the Steelers
(11-18-2022, 05:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Genuine misread on mine and several others part it looks like. You mentioned Boyd being a #2 how no one views him as a #1. Then, you went back to Tee. I must have skipped over that part and just read your final sentence, where you said he can’t take it all the way etc.

I’m assuming that’s what others are doing, too. My bad.

In regards to Tee, it depends. I don't know what you mean by space, but perhaps separation? If so, that's really only relevant when analyzing man coverage. It becomes less important in zone due to how zone coverages operate. However, in regard to YAC...no, not really. Last year, Tee Higgins was 12th in YAC per reception among receivers with 100+ targets. He actually averaged more YAC per catch than Tyreek Hill and Jefferson. He was slightly below Davante Adams. This year he is 24th in the league, but still neck-and-neck with Tyreek Hill. YAC is up across the league, overall. In his rookie season, he was 15th. He has averaged roughly the same YAC/catch each season (4.5, 4.6, 4.1) so we have a pretty good idea of what type of player he will be there. 

Identifying a top guy can be tough but it is really just about production. Guys can be great at beating man coverage but not a top guy, or great at YAC and not be a top guy. Tee was producing like a top guy last season but has taken a dip this year. 

The only reason I mentioned Boyd is because the poster I was responding to mentioned Boyd. So I responded to that part. The rest of the post was about Higgins. 

Where are you getting those stats from? What I was looking at had him in like the 60s or 70s as far as YAC for the year. I may just be be dumb though and reading it wrong. 

I agree Tee can and has produced, but he did not do that as the #1 receiver. He did that as #2/#3. Teams aren't doubling Tee like they are Chase. I don't think anyone would consider Hunter Renfro a #1 WR but he's a great #2 and I dont think thats an insult. I think Tee is still really good, just would be on the bottom end of #1s. At least based on what he's shown at this point in his career.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2021/reg/all/receivingreceptions/desc
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tee needs to tee off on the Steelers - TheFan - 11-18-2022, 07:07 PM