Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threads from the Enemy-Tennessee
(11-22-2022, 02:25 PM)Sevenfeet Wrote: I said "Right now".

Joe Burrow for 2022: 2890 yards passing, 22 TDs, 8 INTs, QBR 55.7

So Joe is slinging it around the yard but probably more takeaways than he would like (still pretty good though).

Ryan Tannehill for 2022: 1685 yards passing, 10 TDs, 4 INTs, QBR 53.1

Ryan Tannehill has missed two games and is in a run heavy offense (you'd be too if you had the King on your team, 1010 yards and 10 TDs so far). But we've also been decimated in quality people to throw the ball to. So the impressive stat here is only 4 INTs, considering he threw 3 in one game last year in the playoffs against .....The Bengals.

Bottom line is that both men are incredibly valuable to their respective teams. Burrow gets a hell of a lot of respect in these parts (it is SEC country).

Besides, debating is part of the fun of fandom. :)

I don't know what the formula for QBR is, but they seem to always underrate Joe Burrow. The numbers almost never line up. For example, Joe Burrow threw for 287 yards, 20 for 31, 64.5% Completion Pct., 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, 115.9 QB rating against Miami...but ESPN's confidential rating system gave him a 44.0 for that game. 

Comparatively, Ryan Tannehill went 19 for 36, 52.8% completion percentage, 255 yards, 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, 94.1 QB rating against Denver...and ESPN's confidential rating system handed him an 82.0.

Maybe they do some real time judgments like PFF where they say "well, Tannehill only completed half his passes, but the passes he did complete were in tight windows and were perfectly placed whereas Joe Burrow's targets were more wide open" or something like that but even then almost twice the score? Seems pretty hard to believe.

Last year, Joe Burrow was the highest rated QB in PFF (I think. Tom Brady may have jumped him in the final game cuz Joe didn't play in week 18, I don't recall). He had a QB rating of 108.3, which was 2nd in the league behind MVP Aaron Rodgers. Led the league in completion percentage and yards per attempt but, somehow, he only had a 60.2 QBR.

Notably worse QBs that had a higher QBR than Burrow last year:
Kyler Murray
Ryan Tannehill
Carson Wentz

Notably worse QBs that have a higher QBR than Burrow right now:
Jacoby Brissett
Lamar Jackson
Derek Carr
Daniel Jones
Marcus Mariota

With Jared Goff and Justin Fields just below Burrow.

At this point, I just completely disregard that stat. They won't tell us how it is created, what factors it takes into account and how players could raise or lower them for things not related to passing the ball.

It's not a good metric to judge anything by, as far as I can tell.

As for Burrow's interceptions, it's notable that 4 of his 8 interceptions (at least, off the top of my head. I don't recall the other 4 at the moment) have come off batted passes, 2 of which were just TJ Watt making absurd plays at the line of scrimmage. And 4 of the 8 total were in week 1 when he had not thrown a pass in a game since the Super Bowl and was coming off an emergency appendectomy that knocked him out of the entire Training Camp and had him lose over 20 pounds in a month. He obviously wasn't right for those first 2 games, but he slowly regained his health and is playing at what would be an MVP level right now if Patrick Mahomes wasn't just...a football God, essentially.

I don't say any of this to demean the Titans or Ryan Tannehill. You're a Titans fan so you have probably only seen the Bengals play once or twice this year. Trust me when I tell you, Burrow is way better than Tannehill. They aren't on the same level. Not now, and not in the future either.

And that's okay. Tannehill is filling his role in Tennessee very well. But you're going to lose a lot of credibility on a Bengals forum and, honestly, on any non-Titans forum if you continue to claim they are playing comparably right now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Threads from the Enemy-Tennessee - pally - 11-21-2022, 10:06 PM
RE: Threads from the Enemy-Tennessee - CJD - 11-22-2022, 12:02 PM