Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can The Bengals Keep This Team Together?
(12-02-2022, 12:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't be so certain about the "less than Watson per year" as a hangup.  It will be all about the guarantee, something the Bengals USUALLY avoid.  However, I could see about $300 million of Burrow's contract being guaranteed.  And that is worth a lot to a player compared to the ego of saying it is more per year than someone else.  Watson's deal was so incredibly stupid that I can't see it factoring in.  Browns were desperate and have probably screwed their franchise for at least 5 years.  I think Watson will suck ass when he returns.  

Also, the Bates money does matter because they will not be paying $13 million next year to a guy that they did this year.  Sure, it will be eaten up by other contracts, but letting Bates walk and replacing him with a late first round rookie is a huge savings.  

If they guarantee $300m, then the Browns/Blackburns would need to put $300m into escrow.

Doesn't matter if Watson will suck ass or not. The market has already been skewed up with multiple QBs, the numbers always go up. You see that going on with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens now. You don't want that to happen with Burrow. The Browns screwed everyone with young QBs.

(12-02-2022, 01:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bates is making almost 13 million this year. 

Yes, and those guys I listed are going to cost $21m more against the cap next year than they are this year, and there were a bunch of guys I didn't list who are also costing $800k-$1m more against the cap next year. Re-signing Bell (and Pratt?) are probably going to cost more cap space too. Combined they are only ~$10m this year. and Bell alone will probably be more than that as $10m/yr is the 15th paid safety.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can The Bengals Keep This Team Together? - TheLeonardLeap - 12-02-2022, 09:49 PM