Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We all said ZT couldn't coach...
(12-06-2022, 03:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Zac is excellent in some areas and in others well, I guess we just have to accept the occasional ridiculous play call. 

All coaches, even the very best, make the "occasional ridiculous play call." You see head-scratching play calls and ill-advised use of time outs all the time. Its the nature of the job.

When I saw that Jim Breech was Ruler of the Jungle this week, it reminded me of a head-scratching call by Sam Wyche in a 1987 game against the 49ers. Breech had hit 4 FGs and would have been the hero of the game. I watched that game on TV, not live, but it's an ending I may never forget. 

The Bengals led by 6 with 6 seconds left and had the ball, 4th down at their own 31. Rather than punt, and eat up the 6 seconds, Sam Wyche decides James Brooks can run around for 6 seconds and run the clock out. But ... he got downed with 1 second left. Joe Montano, with one second on the clock, then throws a TD pass for the 49ers win.

So far, I've been pleased with Taylor's decision making. How he risked things last January in the first game against KC and was able to run the clock down for a last-second FG. Or how on Sunday he went for it with the 3rd and 11 call, rather than kick the field goal. Imagine the venom that would have been heaped on Taylor if Burrow had misfired and the Chiefs then had extra time to go down the field?

Its a lonely spot, but Taylor seems to have the right mental strength for handling such a difficult job. And, as the say, victory has a hundred fathers, but defeat is an orphan.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - Nepa - 12-06-2022, 04:49 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - 3wt - 12-06-2022, 03:39 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - 3wt - 12-09-2022, 03:18 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - J24 - 12-06-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - CJD - 12-09-2022, 03:49 PM
RE: We all said ZT couldn't coach... - CJD - 12-10-2022, 01:38 PM