Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpopular Opinion: Marge>the Castellini group.
(12-16-2022, 10:04 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't get the "unpopular opinion" subject line unless we're talking about personal character since Marge was a racist.

From a baseball ownership perspective, why would it be unpopular? She owned a team that won a World Series and she spent money to compete. She was a better owner from a baseball competitive framework.

Have I missed something about the Castellini group? Are they also bigots?

Well, beyond the racism and public inebriation, Marge was known to be cheap when it came to her players.  She treated Davis poorly when he got hurt in the World Series, and her baseball acumen was mainly salvaged by the fact that she let her GMs (mostly) run the baseball operations.  She also ran Davey Johnson out of town for cohabitating with a woman out of wedlock when his team was kicking ass on the field.  

Let's not get it twisted.  Marge owned a team because she got it from her old man when he died.  She wasn't some baseball genius or even a decent person.  She just had the one very important attribute of knowing when to let others do stuff that she didn't know how to do.  

I don't quite understand your last question.  The only point about the Castellini group is that they are cheap and make shitty baseball decisions to compound the thrifty payroll.  I wouldn't say that the Castellinis are worse than Linder.  His time owning the team was horrific.  They're still pretty damn bad at what they do.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unpopular Opinion: Marge>the Castellini group. - samhain - 12-16-2022, 07:46 PM