Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe becomes a founding investor in new volleyball league
(12-17-2022, 03:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good on him for the effort, but it's a money loser. Just like the WNBA and Women's soccer, there will not be a huge audience. I gie it 3 years before it folds. Just like softball, People that like to watch women's volleyball will continue to watch college teams.

You're not wrong, but it's also a tax write-off. Giving chances for athletes to make a living for a short while and possibly allowing them to finish off degrees. Not everybody can juggle 20 hours of practice and two to four matches per week while trying to graduate college in four to five years. This also might allow a few more nurses and doctors to continue playing while finishing medical school. I saw A LOT of this the first few years of MLS as I would often hear announcers say that this will be a player's last game after only a third of a season gone by because he's retiring when he graduates med school in a few days. 

I've recently kind of hoped that women's gymnastics got something like this. A few years ago, I dated an Oregon State U grad that was massively into women's college gymnastics and we watched a lot of young Pac 12 women become insanely good at their craft, with some performing in front of thousands(Utah and UCLA have large crowds). And then, at the height of their powers . . . it's all over and the best that they can hope to achieve through the sport anymore is coaching or the rare announcer gig for the local conference cable network.

We watched Peng Peng Lee's final routine of her career with the National Championship on the line . . . She kills it and then it's all over, nowhere else left to go. Nothing to train for anymore. It would be kind of like Joe Burrow having to retire after his performance in the NCAA Championship game.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe becomes a founding investor in new volleyball league - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 12-18-2022, 12:36 AM