Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How Important are the Bengals to You ?
Really good stuff. I'm really enjoying reading this. Let me ask you this. What's up with some of those Gameday thread folks? I've only been a participant on this board for a year or so and many of you have been here a lot longer and know more about the board than I do. There are some great fans on this forum(Jungle Noise) who, like me, are very invested in the team. But that Gameday forum is a different tiger , altogether. There are some folks who are there every week who hardly ever post here. They are clearly hyper-invested in the team emotionally. Some of those folks remind me of the 17% or so of UK basketball fans who go a little overboard when it comes to their Cats. Let's just say they have a ...well , ... interesting perspective(lol). 

I also concur with other who have said that they deal with losses better than they used to. Not saying that the losses don't still bother me because they do. But I can let them go and move on to the next week better than I could when I waas in my twenties. I guess it's a maturity and a perspective thing. I'm thankful now if I just wake up in the morning. At 25, if the Bengals didn't win, my whole week was effed up. I like being invested in my sport team because it makes the ride so much fun. Last season was an absolute blast. . There's  emotional risk-reward factor, obviously.

Sometimes, when losing becomes a pattern and expectations of winning are too low for zero, then apathy starts to set in. It's a defense mechanism, I think, but it's sad, nonetheless. It's kinda where I'm at with UK basketball and the Reds. I still watch and hope for wins but I'm not hopeful for the end result to be good. Losses don't register much on the emotional scale anymore.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Important are the Bengals to You ? - Science Friction - 12-18-2022, 01:22 PM