Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
we need to stop sexual talk in schools
(12-19-2022, 02:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Have we tried just pretending that stuff teachers say falls under "free speech?"  Or is the idea that free speech aimed towards kids is dangerous because they, unlike all the genius adults that make up this country, lack the wisdom and ego control to carefully analyze all viewpoints and possibilities and then come to the most logical and sane conclusion?

Here is a good summary of free speech as it applies in the educational environment.

https://www.concordlawschool.edu/blog/constitutional-law/50-years-student-speech-first-amendment/

As we can clearly see, courts have ventured back and forth on free speech as it pertains to students since the Tinker v Des Moines case, I feel like every time there issues get brought up, it is because we have encountered a situation that previous rulings had not covered or even existed.  With that in mind, I feel like case by case is the best way to interpret and apply legal protections.

So, with your suggestion of just 'pretending that stuff teachers say falls under free speech', I cannot agree.  If we are going to situationally limit free speech as it applies to students in the educational environment, I feel that we must also scrutinize what teachers are saying and what the extent of their 1st amendment protections are, as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: we need to stop sexual talk in schools - SunsetBengal - 12-19-2022, 02:31 PM