Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal info stolen in Baltimore looting
(06-06-2015, 12:02 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Haven't had the flu in over 20 years, and wouldn't go to the doctor for it unless I was seriously ill.  Since I question the effectiveness of Tamiflu, and some seem to think it only works in the first few days of symptoms (if it works at all)...I'm pretty confident that, no, I would not ask my doctor for Tamiflu.

I'm not sure what the question has to do with the topic.  Not sure why you equate me with StLucie - I'm a believer in vaccines and flu shots.

StLucie believes in vaccines.  He just did a very poor job of using the anti-vaccination group's beliefs to defend their right to decline vaccinations.

Anyway, it has been suggested pharmaceutical companies should be able to make as much as the can because they paid for the R&D.  To an extent, I agree.  The "some" you refer to who believe Tamiflu only works if used in the first few days is the manufacturer.  The prescribing information comes from the manufacturer.  Very simply, the drug company conducts the R&D, gives the research to the FDA for review, the FDA issues the stamp of approval, the drug company sells the drug for as much as they can.  Problem is the drug companies aren't required to reveal all their research.  Just the research they want to release so they can get the drug approved.

The manufacturer claims Tamiflu can prevent complications (such as pneumonia and even death), hospitalizations, contracting the flu if taken prophylactically, and can shorten the average duration of the flu by 1.3 days.

Enter a group called the Cochrane Collaboration.  Basically, they are a nonprofit, volunteer watchdog that reviews things like drug company's R&D.  According to the Cochrane review, the makers of Tamiflu are full of shit!  There is no evidence to support the drug company's claim Tamiflu prevents complications, hospitalizations, or the spread of the flu.  Instead of shortening the flu by 1.3 days, it will actually reduce the average case of the flu from 7 days to 6.3 days (or 16.8 hours.)  So if you took Tamiflu for the flu it might help you get better less than a day sooner.

Do you know how much Tamiflu costs without insurance?  Over $200 dollars.  Over $200 dollars to get well less than a day sooner.  That's outrageous.  The US federal government (alone) spent over $1 billion stockpiling Tamiflu before the Cochrane review was published.  Why?  Because the drug company didn't release all their research.  Each year Roche sells hundreds of millions to in excess of one billion dollars per year worth of Tamiflu. . . for something which might help you get better less than a day sooner.  Do you really think they are entitled to that much money for selling a product which works that poorly considering they were less than forthcoming with their results?

We haven't even touched upon the blantant price gouging in the US compared to prices just across the Canadian border.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Personal info stolen in Baltimore looting - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-08-2015, 02:21 AM