Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Draft Class Contract Renegotiations
(01-09-2023, 01:03 PM)pally Wrote: Today opens the window for renegotiation of the 2020 draft class contracts.  That of course includes JoeyB and Tee Higgins.

Joe is in a QB class that includes Justin Herbert, Tua, and Jalen Hurts.  Tua, I think may not get his extension until after next season. He showed some real growth in the early part of the season but regressed in the 2nd half. And he has a bad injury history.

I fully expect Joe to end up the highest-paid QB in the league with a long-term contract but where that number lands is anyone's guess.  The Bengals will have to come up with guaranteed money way above their comfort level.  But that is the reality of contracts for players like Joe.  The fun question is which of these QBs extends their contract first and are they setting the ceiling or the floor

Tee will be a really really tough negotiation. This is where the Bengals have to set their priorities for other contracts (such as Ja'Marr's).  Tee has a hard-nosed agent who has no problem playing hardball.  And we know the reality is there are teams out there who will give him #1 WR money.  Don't be surprised if he is a free agent after the 2023 season.  Even the franchise tag may be too rich for the Bengals blood

I think the Bengals would be wise to give Joe a 8 to 10 year contract. They need to lock him up for his career ASAP and by doing a long term contract, they can pay a big bonus upfront (towards guaranteed money) and pro rate it for cap purposes over the life of the deal.

Everything at this point for Joe and Tee are pure speculation. I am hopeful Joe is reasonable. He is not the best QB in the league so asking to be paid like the best in the league is not being reasonable. I would hope he is smart enough to know the Bengals or any team needs to pay to place a great roster around him so asking for too much in the end hurts his case to win championships.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Draft Class Contract Renegotiations - Luvnit2 - 01-09-2023, 01:51 PM
A Joey B extension looms... - WeezyBengal - 01-09-2023, 03:52 PM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - Big Boss - 01-09-2023, 03:54 PM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - spazz70 - 01-09-2023, 04:34 PM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - Ell Prez - 01-09-2023, 06:55 PM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - Housh - 01-09-2023, 08:45 PM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - rfaulk34 - 01-10-2023, 12:29 AM
RE: A Joey B extension looms... - Go Cards - 01-10-2023, 12:37 AM