Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Threads from our Frenemies-part 2
(01-17-2023, 11:47 AM)Nepa Wrote: Fair enough. Although I don't get all the board love for Buffalo, as we are competitors, and I doubt we're looking at a friendly competition on Sunday. I do feel sympathy for all their tough losses over the years -- two I think have their own entries in Wikipedia -- and the city Buffalo itself has suffered a lot this year, with a mass shooting and massive snowstorm. And I generally like the fans -- my son attends the Buffalo games and one entire branch of my family are Buffalo fans.

But we are competitors and the last big meeting between the team -- the 1989 AFC championship -- the Buffalo franchise and their coach, Marv Levy, were absolutely horrible to the Bengals. They might well have cost us a Super Bowl. For 2 and 1/2 years the Bengals ran a no-huddle offense. Teams didn't like it -- Seattle, in the AFC at the time, would have one defensive player after another fake an injury so they could make their substitutions. Marv Levy and Buffalo threatened to do the same if the league didn't step in and put a stop to the Bengals no-huddle, which Boomer Esiaison had perfected. 

Buffalo got their way. On game day, less than two hours before the game, the league told the Bengals they could not run their no-huddle. and they declared if Buffalo wanted to fake injuries, that would not be considered a penalty. it was like one hour and 45-minutes before game time. Sam Wyche compared it to a restaurant owner (the Bengals, in this case) being told they had to close their restaurant at 5pm because if they were open they were inviting robberies (Buffalo's threatening to fake injuries).

The Bengals beat Buffalo that year. But who knows if the Bengals would have won the Super  Bowl that year if they could have kept playing the way they had perfected for over two years.

You had to live through it as a Bengals fan to know how unfairly the Bengals had been treated and all because of Buffalo's week-long complaining.

Nice post Nepa, that was a bunch of BS at the time that I really didn't live through because I became a Bengals fan in the SB
right after when we nearly beat Joe Montana and those 49ers. I was 7 years old and loved the striped helmets. 

One thing to note, every team that faced the 49ers got beat down in the Super Bowl besides the Bengals who played them 
very tough twice.

As much as that was a bunch of BS with Levy and the Bills it might be just as bad this time around with the NFL not giving a 
neutral site to this game after cancelling the Monday night game. Complete BS, oh well just have to beat them in their house.

But like Sled and you said, I feel empathy for their fans for losing all those Superbowls over those years and I will be rooting 
for them the rest of the way if they beat us. Doubt they will though, I think we match up really well with them, especially Joe
Burrow and our Offense against that Defense that could barely handle Skylar Thompson. If our OL plays well, we win because
I think we will score a lot, Touchdowns and not just Field Goals.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Threads from our Frenemies-part 2 - pally - 01-16-2023, 09:59 AM
RE: Threads from our Frenemies-part 2 - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-17-2023, 04:06 PM