Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
(01-17-2023, 10:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is true.  On the other hand, when you have a generational quarterback that elevates everyone around him, I think it's worth it.  Andy Dalton was a capable quarterback took the Cincinnati Bengals the several playoffs, but he did not elevate his game or those around him in the Bengals had talented players that couldn't win in the playoffs. 

I love Joey B, but I don't think we have many guys that need elevating right now. Our receiving corp is the best in the league. Good RBs. Very good defense.

The only team Dalton had that rivaled this one was 2015 when he was an MVP candidate. Do I think Burrow will elevate guys much better than Andy did? Of course, but I just don't think Joe's elevate-ability (lol) has been tested much yet.

(01-18-2023, 09:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Of the top 12 cap hits at QB in 2022, only 4 of them were in the playoffs this year despite there being 7th seeds. Only 2 of those 4 made it to the Divisional Round, 1 via bye. Meanwhile of the 8 teams still in the playoffs 4 have QBs on rookie deals and a 5th, the 49ers, have Purdy on a rookie deal and Jimmy G took a huge paycut.

The goal isn't to get 10-13 wins and get knocked out of the playoffs early every year. The goal is to win Super Bowls. You need a lot of talent on your roster to win a Super Bowl. Unless you manage to perpetually get draft after draft in a row of just great find after great find, you need cap space to add that talent and keep your pre-existing talent. Or your window will close.

There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers has only reached the NFC Championship game 2 times in 15 years and Drew Brees only reached it 1 time in 19 years. They both were all about maximizing personal gains. Fair, it's a business, you look out for you, but just don't be surprised when your career ends and you underachieved because you couldn't get enough talent around you.

- - - - - - -

Burrow is going to do whatever he is going to do. If he chases maximum dollar it's his right to get the most pay he can for the work he does. I do hope he takes less to allow the Bengals to keep filling the team with talent around him, but I am not naive enough to expect it to happen. Either way they shouldn't be a terrible team, but competing for Super Bowls is a whole lot more fun than being 9-8 or 11-6 every year and either just missing the cutoff or getting knocked out early.

Exactly. Look at it this way.

Elite QB + mediocre roster = mediocre QB + very good roster.

I'd say you're getting a similar result with either one.

(01-18-2023, 10:13 AM)Synric Wrote: Injuries are a larger reason than financial why teams are not constantly going back to the super bowl. 2022 Bengals are an excellent example.

Fans trivialize playoff wins but they are hard.

Playoff wins only seem to become "hard" (with an elite QB) when said QB signs his first mega deal.

Playoff wins were easy for the Seahawks until Wilson signed a mega deal. It was easy for the Packers until they had to deal Adams when Rodgers signed a huge new deal. Just as playoff wins are easy for us now.

This is a simple truth. No sense in mental gynastic-ing your way out of it. LOL

(01-18-2023, 02:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed

I don't think A. Dalton was All World by any measure. And I agree I doubt Dalton without a "perfect game" all the way around - awesome D performance, lots of turnovers, punt return for TD and so on, ever had a SuperBowl victory in him? 

Butt.... we had to many good rosters to have never won a single damn playoff game with him. 

We lost to Mark Sanchez and TJ Yates. Huntley almost beat us. You either have a coach who can game plan or you don't. There's many dozens of examples of worse QB's than Dalton winning playoff games. Recently, too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - IcoHolic - 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - Shake n Blake - 01-18-2023, 03:52 PM