Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
(01-18-2023, 04:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying his ability to elevate guys hasn't truly been tested. Chase, Higgins and Boyd would be a fantastic group anywhere. So long as the QB isn't terrible. This defense is great on their own and has saved Burrow on numerous occasions.

Once Burrow gets $50 million per, then his ability to elevate a weaker roster will start to be tested. I think he could lead us to the playoffs with a cast of poor players, but Super Bowl? I doubt it. History shows that very few bad rosters make the Super Bowl, and even fewer win it.

I doubt I could come up with even 1 example of a championship team that was totally carried by the QB alone.

Talk of culture is easy when the team is winning the way it is. We said the culture was changed 10 years ago. Until it wasn't.

Maybe the word elevated is misplaced.  Burrow brings out the best in teammates.  

Let's go back to Dalton v Burrow.  Dalton had Taylor as coach but he did not do well,  he is like Herbert in a way.  He can put up good stats but cannot put the team on his shoulders.  If, hypothetically, Burrow had Dalton's coaching staff, That is, Marvin Lewis et al.  Do you think Burrow would have won in the playoffs?

Now Marvin Lewis did change the Bengal culture from the 90s.  He put the Bengals on the map.  The problem was unholy alliance of Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown and drafting talented but troubled characters.  It can be argued a team can have talent but character matters.  Who was the leader of Bengals in 2015?  Was it Dalton?  Maybe Whit.  Was it Atkins?  unclear to me.  Who is the indisputable leader of the team now?  Clearly Burrow.  I don't know if Burrow could overcome character issues of the Lewis regime.  Not sure.  But I do know that Dalton could not carry this team, as of today, on his shoulders.  It is not in Dalton's makeup.  

An average athlete with tremendous work ethic vs troubled character but talented athlete with average work ethic.  As a psych, and sports psych, there has been debate and models on talent, coaching, work ethic.  They are all integrated.  Taylor et al. and defunct GM Tobin, have emphasized character picks.  The unsung, non flash players.  No egos.  Burrow can bring out the best in these type of athletes.  Burrow is smart, gritty, has talent but not overwhelming talent.  His work ethics is off the charts.  This team is disciplined, gritty, focused.  Burrow forges all of these elements into an amalgamation of winners. Burrow is a generational player with elite intangibles.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - IcoHolic - 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - psychdoctor - 01-18-2023, 05:57 PM