Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
(01-18-2023, 09:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Of the top 12 cap hits at QB in 2022, only 4 of them were in the playoffs this year despite there being 7th seeds. Only 2 of those 4 made it to the Divisional Round, 1 via bye. Meanwhile of the 8 teams still in the playoffs 4 have QBs on rookie deals and a 5th, the 49ers, have Purdy on a rookie deal and Jimmy G took a huge paycut.

The goal isn't to get 10-13 wins and get knocked out of the playoffs early every year. The goal is to win Super Bowls. You need a lot of talent on your roster to win a Super Bowl. Unless you manage to perpetually get draft after draft in a row of just great find after great find, you need cap space to add that talent and keep your pre-existing talent. Or your window will close.

There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers has only reached the NFC Championship game 2 times in 15 years and Drew Brees only reached it 1 time in 19 years. They both were all about maximizing personal gains. Fair, it's a business, you look out for you, but just don't be surprised when your career ends and you underachieved because you couldn't get enough talent around you.

- - - - - - -

Burrow is going to do whatever he is going to do. If he chases maximum dollar it's his right to get the most pay he can for the work he does. I do hope he takes less to allow the Bengals to keep filling the team with talent around him, but I am not naive enough to expect it to happen. Either way they shouldn't be a terrible team, but competing for Super Bowls is a whole lot more fun than being 9-8 or 11-6 every year and either just missing the cutoff or getting knocked out early.

How sure are we that the reason Brees, Manning, Rodgers only won 1-2 super bowls because they ate up too much cap? Tom Brady is their best QB of all time. These other guys unluckily played in the prime of his career.

If teams are now doing massive contracts for QB’s and it’s the standard for the league, then we’ll be in no worse position than Buffalo, KC, Jags, Phil, etc. I’ll take my chances with a fat paid Burrow vs some rookie.

How many great QB’s can the nfl have? Like truly great. We had Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers for so long. I feel like we’ve kinda hit our cap with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert, Hurts. I know it’s weird to say we’ve hit this artificial limit of great QB’s, but it’s kind of science. There can’t be 10 hall of fame level QB’s playing at once.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - Ell Prez - 01-18-2023, 07:06 PM
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - IcoHolic - 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM