Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
(01-18-2023, 07:06 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: How sure are we that the reason Brees, Manning, Rodgers only won 1-2 super bowls because they ate up too much cap? Tom Brady is their best QB of all time. These other guys unluckily played in the prime of his career.

If teams are now doing massive contracts for QB’s and it’s the standard for the league, then we’ll be in no worse position than Buffalo, KC, Jags, Phil, etc. I’ll take my chances with a fat paid Burrow vs some rookie.

How many great QB’s can the nfl have? Like truly great. We had Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers for so long. I feel like we’ve kinda hit our cap with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert, Hurts. I know it’s weird to say we’ve hit this artificial limit of great QB’s, but it’s kind of science. There can’t be 10 hall of fame level QB’s playing at once.

Can't be positive, obviously, but the only other Quarterbacks to win 4 or more SBs (Bradshaw and Montana) both played before the salary cap existed. 

Troy Aikman won his first 2 SBs before the salary cap existed and his 3rd SB in 1995 the year after the Salary Cap was introduced and they still had the pre-cap roster. The Cowboys haven't won 2 playoff games in a year since.

So only 4 QBs have won 3 or more SBs in NFL history. 3 had the advantage of rosters built with no salary cap and 1 took notably less than he could have.

- - - - - -

As for the elite QBs, I think all the offense-friendly rule changes and QB protections have made a lot more guys look elite than there would have been in the past.

Right now a lot of guy looks like they can be elite QBs, but the real test will be sustaining that level of play. Ryan Tannehill had 2 years of elite play. Andrew Luck had a couple years of elite play. Neither of them could be elite for 10+ years and that's the true test that will winnow those numbers down to the Brees/Rodgers/Manning/Brady type numbers.

AJ Green looked like a future HoF lock after 5-7 years. Now he's almost certainly going to fall short. Reminds me a bit of how after his age 27 season, Jose Altuve was at a faster hit pace than Pete Rose at that age and people were hyping up that he could challenge the hit record. What people forgot to mention was that he needed to hold that pace for another 14 years or whatever. He obviously didn't.

My guess is that in about 5 years, out of the list you provided of "Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert, Hurts", it will be down to 3 players. (Mahomes, Burrow, and Hurts will be my guess, with Allen going the Cam Newton route of falling off a cliff, and Lawrence and Herbert being more Phillip Rivers very-very-good-but-not-great type players.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - TheLeonardLeap - 01-18-2023, 07:19 PM
RE: Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term - IcoHolic - 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM