Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens parked 2 safeties EVERY PLAY and dared us to run
(01-20-2023, 04:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Don't let Nate hear you say that!  Ninja

Wide zone isn't really the problem, per se. The Bengals overall are a bad blocking team, Oline and WRs. They seem to whiff more than most other teams. Back to the wide zone; it's not like they can't create creases there, it's that Mixon had/has such a bad habit of missing too many holes. Zone runs are a Bengals staple going way back. They've had so many good cutback runners over the years, Mixon just isn't one of them. 

The annoying part is, watch any game and you'll see one or two good runs out of the zone but overall, they're just not a good blocking team, regardless.

Lol, I just remember the wide zone early in the season and it clearly didn't fit our personnel or Mixon.

I don't see the 3 backups being wide zone players either. Honestly, I have been pretty disappointed in Pollack and the OL coaches 
in a way, but hey when you lose that many guys and the backup plays good enough to give you a chance that isn't all bad.

(01-20-2023, 05:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Now we're jumping to extremes. No team should ever completely abandon the run, unless you're the Pats playing Pitt...

They need to run better but they don't need to run a lot, if they can't do it well. It just kills drives. 

Completely agree there.

(01-20-2023, 05:11 PM)Synric Wrote: I was just throwing out there a way to protect the QB a little but they really can't do it because they've been so dangerous just surviving off the perfection of Joe Burrow.

As for the run game it's on the offensive coaches. Fours years now they have installed a run game that has failed in a drastic scale. It's hard to blame the players when it's different players same results.

Definitely need to look at some new run game coaching hires in the Offseason.

(01-20-2023, 05:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't say they're really "good" at anything specifically. Plus, they run a combination of zone, gap and duo schemes. On the year, they ran about 40% zone. 

Start of the year they leaned zone, then they started switching to power 2/1. Against the Ravens, in the season finale they went that way then in the PO game they went 50/50. 

And a little bit of this.

Nice post and interesting Rfaulk. Just seems when they play the Gap scheme the players all seem to play better and the Offense 
over all is better than the Wide Zone. Interesting to see them run such a wide array of schemes. Like Synric said, if all the players 
are struggling it has to be on the coaches in the run game. But the most important task is always protecting Burrow so I understand
what he was getting at as always. Synric is one of the best football minds here, him and Au165.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ravens parked 2 safeties EVERY PLAY and dared us to run - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-20-2023, 10:12 PM