Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Zac has done that Marvin couldn't
I'll preface this by saying that none of our answers will be able to be made definitively without someone being able to disagree or refute them, but I started seeing a slight glimmer of hope in both Zac Taylor and Lou Anarumo in the season before last, and a handful of my posts stating this on here during last year's offseason had people trying to argue with me, inciting some sort-of pent-up anger and frustration that seemed to be stewing within (which I kind of understood, considering the loyalty of many of us, despite the horrid track record of the team up to that point). I certainly wasn't definitively sold on Zac, and even cited areas and instances in which I had concerns about, but I thought I might have seen an extra effort given in a collective and individual sense by the team and players at points where it seemed futile - even as a fan during games where we had no chance in winning, and at the end of the season where I was in that infamous position thinking that losses would be a good thing for a higher draft pick. It just seemed as if the team seemed to play with a bit more pride and effort relative to other incarnations of losing Bengal seasons. I certainly didn't see last year's magical run coming, but I felt that he deserved a 3rd season, which is what I feel it takes to overhaul the personel of a pervious regime, especially with a roster like what he inherited. I guess we can question whether it was Zac or a pivot by the front office, but I remember Zac stating early on about a philosophy based on drafting and signing players whom were team captains of their respective teams, and also trying to bring in players who have been a part of winning teams and cultures. I like to think that aforementioned extra pride and fight was the earliest stage of this philosophy showing through. I see a much more collective spirit. It feels funny saying "one heart beat" (for those of us who remember this mantra) but it absolutely fits much better attached to this team. It seems a little less individualistic and more collective, and I personally give Zac Taylor some of that credit for us having the opportunity to witness it. I also think those that still try to subtly throw shade on Zac - and attribute 100 percent to Burrow -should realize that Burrow doesn't seem to be the type of dude who would GO OUT OF HIS WAY to praise Taylor as a coach and not mean it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Zac has done that Marvin couldn't - Dr.Z - 01-25-2023, 04:11 AM