Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What Others Are Saying About Last Night's Fiasco
"I think officiating in the NFL is a difficult job. There are a ton of bang bang plays that are difficult to call in real time. That said, if there was ever a way to "fix" a game, that would pretty much be the template.

I get the whole angle that Burrow had the ball with a chance to win with 2+ minutes left. (And FWIW I think Taylor errored in calling an early TO, not bleeding more time off the clock.) But it didn't appear that he was given the same luxuries that Mahomes was given. There should have been a roughing the passer called early in the drive. The grounding call I thought was a 50/50 call, that you would hope in that situation the refs would have left it as a no call.

The final drive is what it is, it looked like there was a block in the back on the return. I also think if that isn't Mahomes there isn't a late hit called (IMO he did one heck of a sell job.)

As for the multiple third down plays, the NFL is in the ear of the official (or all the officials) at all times. Someone should have seen the clock and notified the head official to blow the play dead ASAP. Letting it go only to reverse it after the play had elapsed and both team sent their special teams units on the field was imcompetent.

I realize that most of Bengals twitter was up in arms, and I get it. But a lot of the national guys I follow were also questioning the officiating. Not a good look for the league, but at the end of the day its the Kelsey Brothers, Reid playing against Philly, the first SB with two black starting QB's. The NFL doesn't look back, they just look forward.

I don't know what the head official should be required to do. But it seems to me that he should face a little more scrutiny than one reporter asking questions. When you rightfully or not make calls that play a large role in determining the outcome of the game, you should answer questions. Even if its just "it was a judgement play and that is what we saw" at least you would own up to the calls."
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Others Are Saying About Last Night's Fiasco - Science Friction - 01-30-2023, 04:20 PM