Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(01-31-2023, 01:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bold - Bates is not under contract, cutting Mixon n 2023 only saves 7.2 million in cap space, he has 5.5 million in dead cap if we cut or trade him.

I agree with #3.

I would cut Boyd, I love him, but he is our 3rd best WR and is proven he is not a #1 or #2 if Chase or Higgins is hurt. Cutting Boyd adds 8.9 million in cap space (1.4 million dead cap).

Take the money and place towards locking up Higgins for next 5 years. Higgins is only a 4 million cap hit for 2023 and then a free agent. Extend Higgins, 5 years for 95 million with 60 million guaranteed. Give him a 50 million dollar bonus (spread out over 5 years or 10 million a year. 

Salary - 2023 = 1 million + 10 million bonus = 11 million cap hit
Salary - 2024 = 4 million + 10 million bonus = 14 million cap hit (Higgins has now been paid 35 of the 48 million guaranteed)
Salary - 2025 = 10 million + 10 million bonus = 16 million cap hit (Higgins has now been paid 65 million and reached the 60 million guarantee)
Salary - 2026 - 13 million + 10 million bonus = 23 million cap hit (if cut or traded, 20 million dead cap, but no salary guaranteed)
Salary - 2027 = 17 million + 10 million bonus = 27 million cap hit (if cut or traded, 10 million dead cap, but no salary guaranteed)

In 2023, he would add an addition 7 million of cap space (he is already scheduled for 4 million cap hit) so 11 -4 = 7 million additional
Cutting Boyd would pay for Higgins in 2023 and add 1.9 million in 2023 cap space.
In 2024, cut Mixon - A 2024 cut would add 10.3 million helping to pay for Higgins 14 million cap hit

The Bengals need to find a Boyd and Mixon replacement in 2023 and 2024. Hopefully, player development (Williams) or the draft

The misconception is some fans don't understand how a lot of these long term contracts are written. They key is the upfront bonus teams can pay and then defer the bonus money over the life of the contract. This is why we see cap hits a lot less in the early years and higher in the latter years. The player cares about the guarantee as they means the team cares about the cash outlay and the cap hit (both have minimums to be met to stay in compliance). So it is not an easy to calculate a 5 year 100 million contract extension for 5 years by doing simple math of 100 million divided by 5 years = 20 million dollar cap hit each year.

A great resource is Spotrac. I like it as it has many years of date, shows team by team spend and cap hit (2 different things) and even projects the following year by division with an in depth analytics. For example, the Ravens have 28.8 million in cap space, but they do not have Jackson under contract. The problem the Ravens have is they can't simply extend him to lower their cap hit, they franchise him and they literally have to restructure contracts or cut someone as tag for QB's is 32.4 million in 2023 I believe.

Sorry, for the long post, I love discussing the cap.

Bates is not under contract but that money comes off the books. You now have that 15 million you were currenlt paying him this year to spend elsewhere. 

I can't bring myself to pay Higgins. 1000 yard recievers are not hard to find and this team is going to give Chase the bag. I think we draft Tees replacement this year. 

Love Tee, but his production can be found elsewhere, especially when you have a guy like Chase at your 1. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see? - WeezyBengal - 01-31-2023, 02:06 PM