Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were the pre-Joe Bengals as bad as most think?
(01-31-2023, 09:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So why didn't the media try to talk Herbert, Allen, Lawrence or Mahomes out of signing with those teams? Why does it feel like the Bengals get dismissed more than any of these teams?

How is the Chiefs getting Reid and Mahomes any different than us getting Zac and Burrow? Neither franchise had a great history prior to getting them.

Interesting numbers, nice work!

Why don't the media crap on the other teams as much? Well, they kind of do, we just don't notice it as much because we're not sensitive to it unless it's about the Bengals. Allow me to demonstrate:

- No one in the media that I can recall blasted either Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson for retiring early to get away from the Lions. Some weren't happy, but even they had a aura of "I don't like it, but I completely understand".
- Everyone makes fun of the Jets & Browns...perpetually.
- No one in the media outside of San Diego really batted an eye or complained when Eli Manning refused to play there and forced the draft day trade to the Giants. Hell, there wasn't even THAT much of an uproar nationally when they moved back to L.A. 
- When Kurt Warner took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl it was treated as the rare, reality shattering event that it was, much like the Bengals trip last year. Remember "THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!"? The story was Dennis Green's epic blowup, not that the Cardinals melted down. The Cardinals melting down was just expected.
- The media is constantly bringing up the endless list of Vikings failures in the playoffs, or questioning if they'll be able to do anything when they get there. Gary Anderson's perfect 1998 regular season ending in a FG miss in the NFC Championship comes immediately to mind.
- 28-3...
- The Urban Meyer Experience 2021...
- Remember Marty Schottenheimer? Remember how he just couldn't win a playoff game? He was the OG Marvin Lewis, and the Chiefs got plenty of mocking back in the 90's. They seem to get a pass because they always SEEM to be on the cusp of something even when they're not. So they rarely actually bottom out and wind up in the top 5 of the draft. That's my guess as to why they get a pass. That and all the old clips of Hank Stram NFL Films loves to replay endlessly ("Matriculate the ball down the field!")

Now, for some reason the media for all my life at least just loves the Bills. Early 90's? Media was slobbering all over them. Before the Music City Miracle sent the Bills home, the media was intoxicated with Flutie Mania (Flutie didn't start that game though). For some reason the media remains convinced that the Bills are a super-team despite not making it out of the divisional round the last two years and not making a Super Bowl since they got annihilated by the Cowboys 52-17 in 1993. That obsession by the media I cannot explain.

The Texans are still young-ish as a franchise, they've had success when they get to the playoffs, and they have had a truly Nation-wide superstar in J.J. Watt. That buys a bit of a cushion from the media.

The Titans/Oilers aren't a young franchise, and they're more known for their playoff failures (Frank Reich's comeback, 1 yard short) than they are for their successes (Music City Miracle). However, they keep finding major superstars and the media seems to value that higher than they de-value the team for squandering most of their careers (Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Eddie George, Jevon Kearse, Chris Johnson, Derrick Henry).

The Panthers have had multiple Super Bowl runs, including one REALLY early in their existence. As such, the loser label just never stuck as a media narrative.

I think that covers all of them. The media are crap to most everyone, we just notice it when it's aimed at our team. It doesn't help that Mike Brown rarely does any media availability, as opposed to owners like Jerry Jones, Jim Irsay & Bob Kraft who seem to always be in the news or getting interviewed. When you're friendly with the media, the media is friendly to you. Mike hasn't done himself or his team many favors in that regard, but who cares what the media think anyway?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were the pre-Joe Bengals as bad as most think? - Ravage - 02-01-2023, 10:47 AM