Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-10-2023, 06:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Very few, but that's the point.
I think of TEs that could realistically have like a 12+ YPR that they are right up there with the top WRs as a receiving threat.
Travis Kelce
George Kittle
Darren Waller
Mark Andrews
Kyle Pitts
Arguably TJ Hockenson

If you're getting 50 receptions but only putting up 10 YPR or less, you're only going to have ~500 yards. That's not dynamic enough to be among the elite TEs.

Again, I'm not saying Mayer is bad by any means. I just don't see a Top 5 TE in receiving yards kinda guy.
I see more of the Pat Freiermuth or Noah Fant style player that's well-rounded who is really good at short and intermediate routes, can block some, but not really a home run threat kinda guy.
There's nothing wrong with that, just that they won't usually be up there in discussion as one of the best TEs in the league.

This isn't targeted towards you OC but using your list to make a point.

I started thinking of this post again today. Of your top 10 list, only 2 were 1st rounders. And of those, only Pitts showed anything as a rookie (if I remember correctly) and he was a freak athlete. 

Remaining on that list, 2 3rds, 1 5th and 1 6th. If anything, this shows that you shouldn't be spending a premium pick on the position. Hell, Hockenson was traded IN the same division for a 2nd. TEs have to just be superstars to be worth what it would take to get Mayer.

Once my son goes down for his nap, I may map how many starters and back ups are in the NFL and what round they were drafted as better empirical data.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - WVUHomer - 02-11-2023, 03:48 PM