Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-13-2023, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It depends on what type of TE you want.
Andrews went a round later than Hurst because Andrews was less experienced/capable as a blocker.
He was the superior pass catcher though.
And the Ravens ultimately decided to have their offense focus around a pass catching TE, so Andrews surpassed Hurst.

I don't think the Bengals should take a TE in the 1st round who needs work as a pass catcher, but we'd be fools to think they'd target a TE who isn't a good blocker.

So I think two-way TEs like Mayer, Darnell Washington, Sam LaPorta, or Luke Schoonmaker will appeal to the Bengals because they want their Bengals to be more than a big receiver.
We hear other TEs like Luke Musgrave and Dalton Kincaid as being in the 1st round conversation, but could they demonstrate enough to the Bengals to convince them they can block as well as be good receiving threats?
The Combine is something that is actually better catered to guys like Musgrave and Kincaid. If they can showcase their speed and agility, their value tends to go way up. 
Musgrave especially could be viewed as TE1 in the draft if he showcases his expected elite athletic ability.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/luke-musgrave-te-oregon-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

I'd be ok waiting until Day 2 to address TE if the Bengals don't re-sign Hurst. I'm ok waiting even a bit later to get a TE2 if Hurst is re-signed.
What I am not sure about though is how set do the Bengals feel with Collins as the starting RT.
If they really do envision him as their long-term RT over the next 2 years, I don't think they'll spend a 1st rounder on a RT who is going to potentially ride the bench for 2 seasons.
If the possibility of the team moving on from Collins is higher, I could definitely see an OT drafted in Rd 1 or Rd 2.
Regardless, I might target someone like George Fant in FA who should be a reasonably cheap swing OT and spot starter at either OT position. He's turning 31 this Summer, so he's probably only got another couple years left. But he's played for Pollack before, has started at both OT positions and played reasonably well 2 of the past 3 years, and probably would like to play for a contender in his last leg of his career.
I do think there also needs to be IOL depth too. Scharping is probably going to sign elsewhere and honestly disappointed in his opportunity as a starter in CIN. Will Hernandez might be someone the Bengals can pick up for cheaper and challenge Volson for starting LG reps. He'd also be a good swing OG given he's had plenty of starting reps at both OG spots. 

Andrews was a mid (i think mid) 3rd round (I know he went 3rd) pick. 

Agree they want their TE to be a capable blocker.

I can't see how they can consider LC a viable option to start and play well at RT. I'm not saying it will be pick 28 but it can't be Adeniji otherwise call the season a wipe.

LG could be a position to upgrade bit I still feel it's below RT and maybe even CB considering the depth and injury. If I was Duke, as it stands now, it'd be RT>CB>LG>TE (assuming talent levels agree with that route). Its why I feel TE won't be addressed until 3rd/4th unless our board is just absolutely devastated. I'd honestly just try to bring in a stop gap if Hurst goes to another team and draft two TEs in mid rounds to develop.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - WVUHomer - 02-13-2023, 03:40 PM