Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(01-31-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My main wants:

1. Cut Mixon
Nothing against him, but we just arent a running team. Paying the third most money on the team (12 million) to a guy that barely touches the ball and isn't super effective when he does is asinine. Draft some speed out of the backfield or go pick up a FA for cheap.

2. Find a punter.
Christman was freaking awful on Sunday and field position has been a problem for us all year. I am over it. Either draft one or bring in one in FA. It's a cheap upgrade that can pay huge dividends.

3. Bring these guys back.
Eli Apple, Pratt, Vonn Bell, Perine, Hurst, Flowers. None of these guys will break the bank and have been solid players for us.

4. Upgrade the OL
What happened with injuries in the playoffs was unlucky. The OL was OK this year, but nothing special. Go out and get that elite guy on the OL that we need. Joe goes from a good to best QB on the planet when he has time to throw and is comfortable in the pocket.

5. Find that elite game wrecker on defense
The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones. We need a guy like that on defense. Our defense is solid, but it's missing that one guy that can just wreck a game.

None of these things are huge asks. The Bengals have 44 million in cap space right now - third most in the league. Bates leaving and cutting Mixon would free up another 20 million at least.

Pretty dead on.  I might look at Mixon as a restructure candidate.  And I am fine with Crisman.  He had one bad punt against KC.  It is always a challenge for footing on grass instead of turf.

The rest I am completely in alignment with.  I have no idea what game wrecker or solid OT could be available for the Bengals to sign, but one thing is for certain:  This is the most critical draft in Bengals history.  If they nail it, could win multiple SBs over the next 5 years.  Whiff and they might merely be a playoff team.  Somewhere in between...

I am hoping they can get a few guys like the rotational pass rushers on Philly.  Although, we saw that if a line is solid and they aren't calling holding, the best defensive lines can be shut down by the best offensive line.  This is why I put OT at our #1 spot.  They need someone that can come in and start at RT.  A mauler.  They have another year to see if Jonah can be an effective LT, but I think Carman might be able to take his spot.  The added weight on Jonah (and it wasn't good weight) put undue stress on his body and he couldn't stay healthy.  They need depth and competition.  I think Adeniji could be in the mix at LT, but his ship might have sailed.  No idea what to think of D'Ante Smith.  

They could go OT in round 1 and round 3.  

I don't think any other position improves the team more.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see? - SHRacerX - 02-14-2023, 09:28 AM