Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(02-15-2023, 05:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: The problem I have with this is that in the current NFL, RB's are either blocking or running routes more than than actually carrying the rock.  The guys you typically find later in the draft are rarely every down type backs.  

The other big issue is the top end RB's tend to be very safe picks.  It's often better in the long run to take one in the 1st or 2nd and be set for the next 4-5 years than have to invest mid round picks in the position every year.

If you're worried about a "safe" RB, there are plenty of cheaper veteran options that you can sign for very cheap ($5 mill or less).
No need to spend a premium draft pick on a RB.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about that the RBs taken earlier are every-down type guys.
They might be able to catch, but quite a lot of them (especially Mixon) aren't great at blocking.
They are primarily used to run the ball, and some more than others catch the ball too.

The "best" RB at pass blocking based on PFF rating that was a 1st round or 2nd round draft pick was D'Andre Swift, with a pass block rating of 73.8.
Most early-round draft pick RBs have a below-70 rating for pass blocking.
The guys with the higher pass-block rating are actually majority drafted Day 3.

If the offense is going to be more heavily focused on passing attack, I'd rather spend the early rounds on OL, pass catchers, and impactful defensive guys.
There are always guys you can find in the middle or later rounds of the draft that can contribute plenty.
They may not be in the Top 5 or Top 10 statistically when it comes to rushing or yards from scrimmage, but a heavy passing offense doesn't need that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment - ochocincos - 02-15-2023, 06:02 PM