Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Combine & FA PFF Simulation
(02-17-2023, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's a lot to like about this plan.

Anton Harrison looks like an ideal choice for pass protection.
The question will be does he have enough force in the run game.

Eli Ricks gives me Eli Apple or Dre Kirkpatrick vibes. Will have some dominant snaps but also give up some big plays. That would probably frustrate some (most?) of the fan base. There are other more consistent DBs I'd probably rather go instead of Ricks, but I can understand the selection. You're drafting for the ceiling.

Personally, I don't really like the existing backup LBs, but that's me. I think quite a few would be somewhat worried if ADG/Bailey/Bachie have the chops to hold down that other LB spot well enough.

Who do you have backing up Cappa and Volson? I don't see you listing Scharping for re-signing, no veteran signed, and I don't see an OG drafted.
Let me address the last question first. I meant to have Scharping as being re-signed as he should be a rather minimal hit to the salary cap but has proven effective. It also appears that they continue to work D'Ante Smith inside and out even though I prefer him outside. With the Bengals exercising the fifth year option on Jonah Williams they get no relief if they cut him. Given his build and body type I would move him inside and work him at both right and left guard. McClendon appears as well to be a guy that could have potential kicking inside to guard.

I think the future of linebacking in the NFL is going to require good coverage skills and I think Davis-Gathier and Bailey both fit this bill. I actually think the play of Davis-Gaither has improved dramatically since he was drafted and he is proving to be a pretty darn good all around backer that can move sideline to sideline. This does not mean I would not look in free agency and or UDFAs.

I as well almost instantly had thoughts of Kirkpatrick with Ricks but I feel the talent level is just tremendously higher. It does not hurt that he was originally at DB U....LSU. His ceiling is a very high one and he should have time to mature with Chido and Taylor-Britt leading as starters.

Finally, Harrison is not a devastating run blocker but he is also not a liability when it comes to run blocking. He is effective in the run game while he may not be a complete bulldozer.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Pre-Combine & FA PFF Simulation - OSUfan - 02-17-2023, 01:47 PM
RE: Pre-Combine & FA PFF Simulation - OSUfan - 02-17-2023, 05:45 PM