Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-14-2023, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am just completely opposed to the idea of drafting a TE (or RB, or G, or LB) in the first round unless there is a consensus belief that they will be the next Kelce, Henry, Thuney, or Micah Parsons.  None of the TEs in this class will ever be compared to Kelce. 

The second contracts for WRs, DEs, CBs, and OTs are so high now that it is critical that you get a few of them on rookie deals to keep the talent and the books aligned.  I know the Bengals drafted a S in the end of the first round last year, and I understand they really liked Hill as the heir apparent to Bates.

I am not saying there are no exceptions to that rule, but overall the Bengals currently have 1 OT on a rookie deal for one more year and will get around $12 million this next year.  They have one first round WR and one first pick in the second round WRs, both on rookie deals.  They have one CB on a rookie deal.  Second rounder.  I see almost no scenario where the Bengals aren't drafting an OT in the first round.

I would have TE behind OT, WR, CB, DE, and even DT, in terms of the Bengals draft priorities.  I know it is BPA, but you get what I am saying.   If there are four players that are equally rated as prospects that play TE, OT, CB, and DE....the TE would be at the end of the list each time.  

Agree as usual. Have to take all these things into account when talking about taking a TE this early, let alone trading up for one 
which we most likely would have to do to get Mayer. Darnell Wright is the dude I want at 28 right now, perfect RT for us.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-17-2023, 07:54 PM