Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-15-2023, 12:31 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You dont take a TE with the first round draft pick.  Its too valuable.  The Bengals #29 pick will have a cap hit of about 2.4 milllion for 2023.  At 2.4 million you could sign a decent free agent TE that would fill the need and be cheap.  However, if you draft a good interior lineman or DE or CB you are getting a great deal because you cant find too many good ones for 2.4 million in free agency.  Its much better for the team to lock up a good pass rusher for 4 years at 2 - 3 million than getting a TE for that price.

I'm not sure about getting a quality TE at 2.4M, Hurst was one of the last TEs picked up and he was still 3.5....

That said, OT, Edge and CB are extremely more valuable positions that save several million with their 5th year extension.

I'm a "draft best OT" guy myself.  But I could make a case for Mayer:

- Possibly the most sure thing in this draft.  Guy has the highest floor of any player so why spend a 1st on a riskier player for a position of need?

- He is a hometown boy, does that come with loyalty like a Sam Hubbard when it comes to future contracts? Would he want his entire career in Cincy with his family like Burrow?

- He will never be as expensive as a WR but be more effective.  Kelce played for 11M this past season, his contract jumps all the way up to 12M this coming season...........

Brad, feel free to use all of these arguments against me in the future.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - casear2727 - 02-18-2023, 05:36 PM