Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garett Bolles may be on trading block?
(02-18-2023, 05:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: True, but that was in 2016 when Jonah played RT.  If forced to choose between Carmen or Jonah to move to RT, it is Jonah without a doubt.

That said... what is the team thinking?  My best guess:

Williams will be healthy and better in his 5th year.  He will play LT.

Collins will start at RT, but only if medical reports are positive. If not, this becomes an emergency spot.

Options:
- If LC is healthy they can draft a LT or RT for the future and the other next draft.

- If LC is not healthy they most likely attempt to draft the best RT or a LT capable of playing RT, or if an outstanding "LT only" guy is available draft him and move Jonah to RT. 

I know they won't, but acquiring a very affordable Nate Davis to replace Volson would make us better in the middle.  This gives Joe a little extra time and much better run blocking.  Imagine a LG who, at worse, is equal to Cappa.

Williams was still not all that good even when healthy.  He consistently got pushed back in to Burrow leading up to the injury in that 1st Baltimore game.  If you go back to the 2021 season he still gave up 8 sacks which was tied for 5th most.  He just isnt good in pass protection.  He should be replaced with someone better but the Bengals will probably pay him 12.6 million to go out there again to give up a bunch of sacks so he can keep his streak alive at being one of top 5 worst tackles at protecting his QB.

I dont know what they are doing about RT but they need to do something.  Collins wont play for several weeks if at all next season.  Adeniji isnt the answer.  I dont think Jonah is the answer either.  You are taking a gamble and putting all your chips on a guy who hasnt played RT for several years and wasnt that good protecting the QB at LT.   I think its just too much of a risk.  Even if Jonah did work out at RT you only have him for one year at that position and then he is a free agent.  If he is making 12.6 million now what is he going to demand on his next contract?  I think the Bengals need a good long term solution for RT not Jonah.

You could draft someone for RT but the draft is always a crapshoot.   You dont know if that guy is going to work out.  I think the best solution is to go out and sign a good free agent RT, that way you know that position is covered for a few years.  If you cut Collins that could give you an extra 7.7 million in cap space.

Volson certainly needs to step up his game big time.  He was the worst performing lineman on a below average line.  You cant have Volson play like he did last year when you also have a big question mark at RT and at LT Jonah trying to keep his top 5 sacks allowed streak going for the 3rd straight year.  Im certainlly not against bringing in someone better than Volson if the Bengals can afford to do so.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Garett Bolles may be on trading block? - 007BengalsFan - 02-19-2023, 04:01 PM