Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Democrats Pass Another Bill Forcing People
(02-19-2023, 12:16 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm a conservative Republican. The government should not be even promoting anything offensive to me. You hear people say when they promote Christian values it is wrong so why all the uproar on something that offends me? I get it. The media and society agrees with the Dems and all others are wrong. God will handle this.

I think we hear people (since Thomas Jefferson and the Establishment Clause) say our government promoting any specific religion is wrong. 

The corollary to that is that government allows people to pursue their individual interests/values/religions, so long as they do not materially harm others. We do not tolerate some views because they DO materially harm others--e.g., we can't sacrifice virgins in religious rituals or publicly support the Islamic State, or refuse to serve black people at lunch counters. 

It is neither the job of government, nor possible, to ban everything that is offensive to anyone. 

The real issue is whether we want to live in a liberal democracy. If we do then we tolerate the "offense" of differing viewpoints when we honor the right to freedom of speech and assembly. E.g., conservative Christians may publicly protest against gay rights, even to the point of celebrating the deaths of American soldiers, though gay citizens may find that offensive.

Over the last two decades, some confusion has arisen over the purpose of our form of government, some groups wanting it to represent not "the People," but their particular (often ANTI-democratic) ethinic/religious group. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats Pass Another Bill Forcing People - Dill - 02-19-2023, 08:00 PM