Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson to RT? Hear me out...
(02-23-2023, 12:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ThumbsUp

Whatever Wrote:[url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Volson-to-RT-Hear-me-out?pid=1334859#pid1334859][/url]If T's gave up sacks and pressures at the same rate as G's, you would have a point.  However, they don't, so this is an apples to oranges comparison. 

If you specifically want to talk pass pro, Volson gave up the 5th most sacks allowed by a G last year.  This discussion is basically about taking one of the worst G's in the league in pass pro, making him switch sides, moving him out to T where he will be isolated with elite pass rushers a far greater percentage of the time, and expecting him to somehow show an improvement.  It simply isn't realistic.  

This guy has been on my ignore list for some time, but since you commented, I can see his comments and respond.  

Your statement about 5th most sacks given up by a guard is irrelevant.  It doesn't factor things like who played the entire season and the most snaps, nor does if factor the competition.  Remember, I think 3 of those sacks were his first NFL start against Heyword.  But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your crapping on Volson.

AGAIN, he was a RT the majority of his time in college.  Carman struggled in transitioning to guard in the NFL as well, despite a better "pedigree".  Then, due to injury, he played pretty damn well in his FIRST NFL STARTS at LT.  In the playoffs no less.  This is Carman, who's work ethic and drive has been questioned from day 1.  Not Volson, who eats, breathes, and sleeps ball.  

If it isn't realistic, how do you explain Carman playing better at LT than at RG?  Small sample size?  Pretty good competition and he held up very well. 

My suggestion is that he be given a look.  We know what Smith and Adeniji are and it isn't good.  Enough fricking projects of taking this guy and making him in to something else because that is where he will fit better in the NFL.  Volson was a beast at RT.  

Here is his senior season at NDSU, with almost all snaps at RT:  883 snaps.  ZERO sacks.  ONE hit.  PFF 88.4 run blocking, 84.5 pass blocking.  There were 560 run blocking snaps and 323 pass blocking snaps.  He played a grand total of 19 snaps at NDSU at LG.  

Let's also not forget that Williams gave up 13 sacks this year, and although I will give him some leniency for his injuries, he wasn't exactly a big help next to Volson.  Heck, in his two games at LT, even Carman rated 5 points ahead of Jonah on pass blocking.

Starting to see my point now?  It wouldn't stunt Volson's development to give him a look at RT.  He could be a diamond in the rough.  Or it could not work at all, but we know the guy's work ethic, team-first attitude, and he has the tools.  Just because he played at NDSU doesn't mean he isn't capable.  Jerry Rice played his college ball at Mississippi Valley State University.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Volson to RT? Hear me out... - SHRacerX - 02-18-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - Synric - 02-18-2023, 11:08 AM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - Synric - 02-21-2023, 12:55 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - bk42 - 02-18-2023, 12:18 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - bfine32 - 02-18-2023, 02:59 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - SHRacerX - 02-23-2023, 09:09 AM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-26-2023, 01:03 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-26-2023, 01:20 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-24-2023, 05:58 PM