Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(02-21-2023, 09:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Analysis.

Mixon is perfectly fine as a starter, but overpaid given the fact that it makes no sense to pay a RB $12 mil a year when the OL sucks. Particularly one who has to sit 3rd down a lot because blitz pickup is weak. Off the field stuff is not helping. We coukd save over $7 mil (minus what we pay a replacement) if we move on.

But that is tricky, given that Perine is a FA. I want him back, but if we pay him like a starter he needs more money. Beyond Robinson, guys like Gibbs and Achane, while explosive, may have size/durability issues as a lead back. So if we move on from Mixon, he may need to start. Not sure I like him as RB#1 as much ss RB#2.

Evans is signed for cheap and has looked explosive at times. But he also lost the RB#3 & KR job to T. Williams, who looked solid in both roles and is sturdier.

Holyfield was on the PS and got hurt early on.
------------

Draft:

I firmly believe we need another weapon. None of our reserve WRs can create separation. Hurst is a FA. None of our reserve TEs are a threat catching the ball. But there are 3 (maybe 4 if you like Flowers) threat quality WRs worthy of a Rd1 pick. Maybe 2 TEs (Mayer, Kincaid). They could all be gone by the time we pick. Tillman at WR is intriguing. Washington more of a blocker at TE right now. Kraft and Musgrave serious Rd1 reaches.

But a late 1st round RB could make a lot of sense. And save us some cap. Mixon is signed, though. We don't NEED to let him go unless we want to use that $ in FA (retain or upgrade). But we better have Perine in hand, first.

Achane & Charbonnet could be around later. Scatback amd bruiser. I like Brown out of Illinois. And we don'toften go this way, but a FB (Hunter Luepke) or H-back type who could also play TE (Josh Whyle as TE/H-back) later on is appealing to me.

The fact that FA is first helps us at RB. If we fail to re-sign Perine and/or want to move on from Mixon, we need to do something in the draft. But we could do something AND keep Mixon, particularly if the pick is a scatback type. We could stand pat & upgrade Evans. Or go for a bruiser if Perine gets away. I am all for bringing back T. Williams to be a reserve and KR guy.

First order of business for me is signing Perine to a reasonable deal. If he gets away, then I try to re-sign Williams & replacing Mixon gets less likely and drafting a RB more so.

If we land Perine, then I also try & keep Williams, and if something happens on draft day, I let Mixon or Evans go. Not letting Mixin go unless I get a real playmaker.

I like the combo play at RB, especially with Achane, along with a late round bruiser like Rodriguez at KY, they would be a good 1-2 punch, and affordable.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment - casear2727 - 02-24-2023, 08:57 AM