Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-24-2023, 03:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Blind hater?  The only thing I've ever said that would be somewhat hateful is when I "laughed" (if that's the term I would use) at you saying Mayer is a generational TE talent.  He's just simply not.

Kincaid is my favorite TE in this draft.  I want my TE to be a complete mismatch in the passing game and I don't think that Mayer would be that at the Pro Level. 

If I can't have my guy be a mismatch, then he needs to be a dominant blocker as well as a guy that can get open.  Washington fits that bill.

I'm also just not a first round TE guy.  The first round guy rarely ends up being the best one out of the class.
I was referring to your blind hatred and comments with no backing on other posts I have made.
(02-24-2023, 04:03 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am sorry but I believe you are exaggerating the attributes of Mayer considerably. He does not have the speed that guys like Kelce or even Hurst have and when watching him I would have to describe his breaks as sluggish to a degree. Separation is not something he really creates with his physical abilities on a regular basis and I just do not see NFL defenses double teaming him on a regular basis.

I would consider him in the second round but I believe there are as good, if not potentially better overtime, TEs in this draft that would compliment this offense as receivers more than Mayer would. I would not select him if he fell to us at 28 and I ABSOLUTELY would not even consider the notion of trading up to get him.

He runs a 40 .07 seconds slower than Kelce! He's not slow!

Even so, we don't need him to be blazing fast in the open field because we won't need him to outrun DBs, but we do need him to be able to beat backers with his agility, which he can, and outman safeties for contested catches, which he can.

He can get open and we have Burrow to deliver the ball, which he catches everything. 

McShay said this about him:

Quote:Most importantly, his instincts and understanding and feel in the pass game, his ball skills and then after the catch, he’s a bulldozer. He’s like a mini Gronk. That was his nickname. He’ll just run over guys. He lacks elite speed, but that’s it. Outside of that, he’s a complete player.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock! - BFritz21 - 02-24-2023, 06:10 PM