Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(02-25-2023, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights, I doubt LC will be 100% until at the very least mid season so RT is a complete black hole right now. Adeniji played 
like shit when it mattered the most. This won't be ignored like back in the PA days. We will add a RT in FA or in a trade and in the 
draft somewhat early. Bolles is still the dude I want as he should be ready to go by TC. Volson is versatile so there are ways to go 
about it that we might not yet know, but I would like him to stay at LG just to keep continuity.

So true on Carman, dude looked good late in the year and in the Playoffs which gives me hope but you cannot rely on that.

Trading for Bolles and moving Jonah to RT where he HAS played before with Carman backing up the starters would be my plan 
right now and drafting a RT like Darnell Wright for the future. If La'el comes back ahead of the playoffs, great. But like you said,
he is a big dude, not like Awuzie. It will take much longer. We all saw how long it took Hopkins to come back from his ACL tear 
and he isn't as big as La'el.

Just so we are on the same page, Boyd leaving is a 2024 thing, right? He is inked next/this year. 

As for RT, we still have 2 playable tackles even sans Collins. Move Jonah and let Carman have LT if you need to. Not ideal, but it is better than playing Adeniji. At least short term. We need to upgrade Adeniji/Smith and fill Scharping's slot. 2-3 OL moves via draft/FA, minimum. If we drafted a quality C (Schmitz, Wypler) we could move Karras to RG. Or at least have that option. 

EDIT: The Jonah & Collins contracts, along with Mixon's, are our biggest overpays. But Jonah is gonna be here, his contract demands it. I believe cutting Collins now is tricky due to his injury. Further, it creates another hole and does not save THAT much $$ ($6 mil - injury settlement he has no incentive to agree to). Mixon is popular, and Robinson ain't gonna be there at #28.

But this is likely it for all 3. Next year, Jonah's $12.6 will be off the books. We can save $10 mil by declining Mixon's option, and $7 by waving Collins. A lot of that $30 mil will get eaten by extensions/new deals for Tee and Reader (and maybe Wilson & Boyd).

Cost effective replacements are certainly needed. I lean towards a cost effective vet (LT) or day 2 pick (Wright, Jones). I would be fairly aggressive this year to trade up in Rd 2 to go get Wright. And next year in Rd1 to get a LT if Carman/Jonah don't seem like long term solutions or if Lewan does not fall into our laps & stay healthy.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 02-25-2023, 04:02 PM