Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(02-25-2023, 04:02 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Just so we are on the same page, Boyd leaving is a 2024 thing, right? He is inked next/this year. 

As for RT, we still have 2 playable tackles even sans Collins. Move Jonah and let Carman have LT if you need to. Not ideal, but it is better than playing Adeniji. At least short term. We need to upgrade Adeniji/Smith and fill Scharping's slot. 2-3 OL moves via draft/FA, minimum. If we drafted a quality C (Schmitz, Wypler) we could move Karras to RG. Or at least have that option. 

EDIT: The Jonah & Collins contracts, along with Mixon's, are our biggest overpays. But Jonah is gonna be here, his contract demands it. I believe cutting Collins now is tricky due to his injury. Further, it creates another hole and does not save THAT much $$ ($6 mil - injury settlement he has no incentive to agree to). Mixon is popular, and Robinson ain't gonna be there at #28.

But this is likely it for all 3. Next year, Jonah's $12.6 will be off the books. We can save $10 mil by declining Mixon's option, and $7 by waving Collins. A lot of that $30 mil will get eaten by extensions/new deals for Tee and Reader (and maybe Wilson & Boyd).

Cost effective replacements are certainly needed. I lean towards a cost effective vet (LT) or day 2 pick (Wright, Jones). I would be fairly aggressive this year to trade up in Rd 2 to go get Wright. And next year in Rd1 to get a LT if Carman/Jonah don't seem like long term solutions or if Lewan does not fall into our laps & stay healthy.

Yeah, after this year I think Boyd will move on. Same with Jonah, we picked up his option and it is only for 1 year. 

Moving Jonah to RT this year almost seems like a no brainer honestly with La'el's injuries. He has played there before and Carman 
seems to only be comfortable on the left side and particularly at LT. Avila is also an option in the 2nd round and he can play Center 
if we want to add to the interior. Believe Karras has only played Center and LG, shouldn't move Cappa at all. He stays at RG.

For some reason D'Ante Smith just hasn't lived up to his potential, pretty sad when Adeniji is ahead of him. Really wanting Darnell 
Wright at 28, seems the perfect player to fill in at RT for the future, big physical Tackle with quick feet and good hands.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-25-2023, 05:22 PM