Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(02-25-2023, 04:02 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Just so we are on the same page, Boyd leaving is a 2024 thing, right? He is inked next/this year. 

As for RT, we still have 2 playable tackles even sans Collins. Move Jonah and let Carman have LT if you need to. Not ideal, but it is better than playing Adeniji. At least short term. We need to upgrade Adeniji/Smith and fill Scharping's slot. 2-3 OL moves via draft/FA, minimum. If we drafted a quality C (Schmitz, Wypler) we could move Karras to RG. Or at least have that option. 

EDIT: The Jonah & Collins contracts, along with Mixon's, are our biggest overpays. But Jonah is gonna be here, his contract demands it. I believe cutting Collins now is tricky due to his injury. Further, it creates another hole and does not save THAT much $$ ($6 mil - injury settlement he has no incentive to agree to). Mixon is popular, and Robinson ain't gonna be there at #28.

But this is likely it for all 3. Next year, Jonah's $12.6 will be off the books. We can save $10 mil by declining Mixon's option, and $7 by waving Collins. A lot of that $30 mil will get eaten by extensions/new deals for Tee and Reader (and maybe Wilson & Boyd).

Cost effective replacements are certainly needed. I lean towards a cost effective vet (LT) or day 2 pick (Wright, Jones). I would be fairly aggressive this year to trade up in Rd 2 to go get Wright. And next year in Rd1 to get a LT if Carman/Jonah don't seem like long term solutions or if Lewan does not fall into our laps & stay healthy.

The have options with Collins:

They can cut him anytime before August 1st, but it would reduce the cap savings from 6m to about 4.8m.
They can wait until training camp to see how he looks, and attempt an injury an injury settlement if they don't like where he's at.
They can wait until final preseason cuts and just release him outright, with no cap penalty or settlement needed.
Or, they can just decide to keep him around, even if he has to start out on IR and be designated for return.

Personally, I'd rather just cut him and use the 4.8m on Eluemunor, who is projected to ger 3.5-4m. If Matt Feiler is cut as expected, I would make a play for him as well. That gives you 2 veterans that can play RT, LG and RG if needed. If Feiler can't be had, then maybe Beachum, Fant or Fleming. I don't want to see anymore of Adeniji or Sharping.

If Jonah is healthy going into next season, I expect him to have a good rebound year and hopefully Volson can improve from his rookie season. 

I think you have to cut Mixon. The decision pretty much makes itself. He's far too inconsistent and is a liability in protection. You can't pay a guy almost 13m when you can't trust him to be on the field in crucial situations. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see? - Bengalholic - 02-25-2023, 07:02 PM