Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments
(02-26-2023, 04:40 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I think I've seen analyst claiming Wright might not even make it to 28.

He might not. But then again, there are about 40-50 guys who "might not" make it to 28. 

I looked at 4 mocks (Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah, Brooks), By my count, there are 43 different players selected. 21 in every dratt; 22 not. 

Of the 21 taken in all 4, 16 never make it to 28: Young (QB), Stroud (QB), Carter (DT), Anderson (OLB/Edge), Levis (QB), and Skoronski (OT) are always top 10. Wilson (DE), Johnson Jr (OT), Witherspoon (CB), Gonzalez (CB), Porter (CB) are always top 20. That's 11. 5 more never make it to 28: Murphy (DE), Smith-Njigba (WR), Johnston (WR), Addison (WR), and Robinson (RB). Though some come close. That is 16. 

5 more are taken in all 4, but do slip to 28 at least once: Jones (OT, Kiper), Mayer (TE, Jeremiah), Kincaid (TE, McShay), Van Ness (DE/DT, Brooks), and Flowers (WR, Jeremiah). That's 21. 18 non- QBs. If any of them slip, they have to be seriously considered. The OTs & CBs are no-brainers. The DE/DTs are close, as are the TEs with Hurst unsigned. The WRs and RBs sure would be tempting, especially if none of the other blue chips are there AND Bell, Pratt, & Hurst are in the fold. 

5 guys are missing from 1 mock: Branch (CB/S, Kiper), White (DE/DT, Kiper), Torrence (OG, Kiper), Richarson (QB, Brooks), and Bresee (DT, Kiper). I put Branch in the category of a blue-chipper. White not quite but close enough with that versatility. Richardson is an obvious no. For me, so is Bresee in Rd1. Too much bust potential and too many productive options for me to gamble in Rd 1. I do like Torrence, but he plays Cappa's spot. If one could move to LG, I'd stringly consider that. He is a maybe. That is 20 guys I would almost certainly nab if there, maybe 21. Unless there is a glaring need created by FA/injury that makes a guy we like at the next level more appealing. 

20 + Torrence + 4 QBs + Bresee = 26 guys. It is possible all those guys could be gone before we draft. If you subtract the QBs, Bresee, and the guys at spots we have plus starters signed (WR & RB), it is 17. I am sure things will get shaken up a bit at the combine, but the top guys almost all have good/grat tape or measurables (White, Bresee, Richardson). They are not likely to fall far. 

8 guys are on 2 mocks. Some of these guys will likely be available to us. Though certainly sime of the OTs/CBs could be gone. Harrison (OT, Kiper & McShay), Wright (OT, Kiper & Jeremiah), Banks (Kiper & Jeremiah), Smith (CB, McShay & Jeremiah), Forbes (CB, Kiper & Brooks), Hyatt (WR, Jeremiah, Brooks), Ringo (CB, McShay & Brooks), and Gibbs (RB, McShay & Brooks). 

I'd gladly take any of the first 4. Forbes is a bit of a reach, but I think he is clearly better than Ringo (who is more of a measureables guy than a player) or any other CB prospect not yet mentioned. I don't like Ringo (prospect not player). Hyatt gives us speed, but is a clear step down from the first 4 WRs and is a bit raw. And I do not think taking a RB who cannot play every down in Rd 1 makes any sense (Gibbs). 

9 guys appear only once. Kiper has McDonald (OLB/Edge), Sanders (LB), Musgrave (TE), Washington (TE), and Kancey (DT). McShay has Duncan (OT). Brooks has Johnson (S). Jeremiah has Anudike-Uzomah (DE) and Smith (Edge).

I'd likely just go ahead and reach for an OL guy like Jones (RT) or Schmitz © than that lot. Though McDonald or Kancey as pass rushers or the TEs would be OK. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 OL Draft Prospects Group Assessments - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-01-2023, 02:20 PM