Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals unlikely to be aggressive in free agency
(03-01-2023, 04:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is why - as much as we all hate the Ravens - I am 100% on their side when it comes to Lamar Jackson. Lamar isn't asking for a fully guaranteed contract, but it's still a ridiculous amount. It's good for the long term health of the league if teams start to balk at these amounts.

Otherwise, this will become a player empowerment league like the NBA, with players signing gigantic short deals and fully dictating where they go and when.

Leaving the majority of teams with little chance to compete for championships, and other teams making tough choices on whether to push all of their chips in on 1-2 guys.

We've kinda already seen this happen. Uzomah was Mr. Bengal...until the Jets came calling with significantly more. As much as fans love players, these guys will almost always take "more rich" over "rich".

We just have to hope guys like Burrow will be willing to structure and re-structure their contracts like how Roethlisberger did for several years. That's way more likely than Burrow taking a Brady-like deal.

In re; Uzomah was offered more by the Jets, but not that much more.  Once you factor the additional taxes and higher cost of living in general, he's likely living less richly than he would have been by remaining a Bengal. (likely an "oof" moment, once he came to that realization)  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals unlikely to be aggressive in free agency - SunsetBengal - 03-01-2023, 04:29 PM