Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys"
It's not that surprising, really. Jonah is making a lot of money and there's next to zero chance they don't start him. The only real change with him would be a possible move to the right side, which also seems fairly unlikely.

Volson showed enough last year. He's not some superstar first day draft stud. He's a mid-round semi-developmental guy that IMO acquitted himself fairly well. Considering the jump in level of competition for him, he's a promising player. You don't build established o-lines by giving up on guys like Volson one year into their careers. If they took that path with Boling, he'd have never become the stalwart that he was for years here. He may lack elite athleticism, but he's got the football intelligence to be a long-term starter. He will only get better with more snaps.

My only dislike with this scenario is the shelving of Carman. The guy did all you could possibly want in the playoffs and more. This entire board or damn near it thought he would piss himself and get embarrassed in Buffalo. He didn't. He actually looked like a true mauler of a left tackle. Like Volson, he needs snaps to maintain and improve. I worry that a position switch for him would be detrimental. He's really only flourished at LT. Perhaps he could play the right side, perhaps not.

It's absolutely mind blowing to me that he was the second backup tackle behind Adeniji. Adeniji is just plain bad and he proves it every chance he gets. Carman must have some real issues with work ethic or practice habits to be stuck behind him, because his skill level, and moreso his physicality is obviously far beyond anything Adeniji has shown.

My hope is that a RT is brought in during free agency. Rookies take time, and this team is likely going to be in the best position it's ever been in to hoist a Lombardi trophy next year. You can't leave the right side to chance. It could literally be the difference between entering the 2024 cap crunch with a title or entering it empty handed, geared up to start a mini-rebuild.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - samhain - 03-02-2023, 12:06 PM