Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think the Bengals WILL DO this offseason?
This is a tricky question because in the 2020 off season, I wanted us to sign a bunch of offensive linemen, but we instead signed Reader, Waynes and Bell (Not that I'm complaining, 2 of those 3 were incredible signings).

In the 2021 off season, I still wanted us to sign a bunch of offensive linemen, but I thought "well, they didn't last season, so we must not value offensive linemen enough to justify the free agent price tag." And then we signed 3 new starting offensive linemen. It was amazing.

So I can think I know what the Bengals will do, but I've been wrong both times in the last 2 years.

I THINK the Bengals will re-sign Bell, Perine, Apple, Allen, Maybe Hurst if his price didn't skyrocket, hopefully Flowers and then, for external free agents add a mid tier RT (Not Taylor or McGlinchey, maybe Eluemunor is the high end of who they'll look at) and, if the price is right, a back up guard to take over for Scharping (who I don't think they'll re-sign). I also think they'll extend Burrow and I give it a 25% chance they extend Higgins and a 15% chance they extend Wilson as well.

Then, in the draft, I expect that they look to add a good weapon at TE, a speedy RB, a versatile CB (Hilton and Awuzie are entering free agency next year and Apple, if he's re-signed, will likely be another 1 year deal, so we're going to need CB depth fast), a wide receiver who can replace Boyd in 2024 and some depth on the offensive and defensive lines is always a plus.

If they find a really good deal at RB in the 2nd round (say, a Jahmyr Gibbs drops), I could see them cutting or re-negotiating with Mixon as well.

It'll be interesting to see how they utilize their cap space this season. It's pretty big this year, but it will cut down in the next two years as Burrow's extension kicks in. Do they use it to go all in? Or do they front load some contracts to even out their cap space over the next 3 years (rolling over some as well, perhaps?). If I'm honest, I'd expect the latter more than the former because we've never been a team known to manipulate the cap, but maybe the reality that we were 3 points away from winning the Super Bowl and then 3 points away from returning to the Super Bowl will be the kick in the pants this front office needs to realize they need to maximize this window before Burrow's extension kicks in 2 years from now.

If they do go all in, there's a chance they could extend Reader and/or Hendrickson to lower their cap hit this year to see if they can bring in one or two big free agents, but I'm not exactly sure who that would be. I'd love a Javon Hargrave or Jawaan Taylor, but I'm not sure if they're as uneasy about RT as the fans are.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think the Bengals WILL DO this offseason? - CJD - 03-04-2023, 05:09 PM