Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys"
(03-05-2023, 06:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sooner:
I disagree that lots of of teams missed on Mahomes. he went #10.  Ahead of him was Miles Garrett, Christian McCaffrey, Mike Williams, Jamal Adams, Fournette.  The Bears did choose Tribisky.

Pacheco was a much more proven commodity than Evans.  I will never get that draft selection.

I would bet that no team has been as abysmal drafting oline in the last decade as us.

My Friend Isaac Curtis:

I appreciate your list and it is difficult to read when our kicker is tiers above all others.

KC in the last 3 drafts:

4th Williams - played 17 games
7th Watson - played 16 games
7th Pacheco - played 17 games
7th Johnson - played 11 games

6th OL Smith - starter for 2 seasons 72 PFF grade both seasons

4the Snead - started 38 games in 3 years, very good player

Normally games played/started isnt the most impressive stat, but when the team is in the AFC title game every year and wins a SB...

We have had

Volson - 53 PFF score

MoneyMac - awesome

No other starters in the last 3 seasons.  2 out of 14 starters in last 3 years.

KC is miles ahead of us when it comes to drafting.

We are pretty solid on finding quality "2nd tier guys", our defensive coaching has become excellent, Burrow and Chase are likely more exceptional that we even think.

But my concern is moving forward with the new big contracts, we have to do better identifying talented players deeper in the draft.

We gotten starter production from 2 players out of 6 last draft.

We've gotten starter production from 2 players out 10 in 2 years from the draft before.  I will add Ossai and Sample are coming on...

We've gotten production from our top 3 picks in 2020, ADG has potential, Adeniji obviously has video on Mike Brown doing something...

We need to identify that Trey Smith in the 6th, Pacheco in the 7th, Snead in the 4th. 

Volson and Lawson are the only 2 starting 4th rounders we have had since Boling. 

4th rounders:
Shelvin
Smith
Billings
Finley
Wren
Jordan
Walton
Malone
Glasgow
Westerman
Bodine
Porter
Charles
Shaw
Hardison

Outside of Lawson & Cordell, ADG  is the superstar of the 4th round since 2011. We must do better.

Look, I apprciate the list, and I am not arguing that we do a better job than KC late. I was taking issue with the idea that we did a terrible job. And I also think that going back to before ZT was here is totally meaningless for this discussion. 

Also, I think games played can be a bit misleading.

In 2022, we traded up twice, so had less picks. 
4th: Volson: STARTED 17 games 
5th: Anderson: hurt/stashed all year (he'll play this year)
7th: Gunter: played in 10 games. 

2021: Games played: 21/22
4th: Sample: 14/16. 
4th: Shelvin: 2/3. Released. That is a whiff. 
4th: Smith: 2/1. A project that has not paid off as of yet. 
5th: McPherson. 16/16 
6th: T. Hill: 13/11. 
6th: Evans: 14/12. 
7th: Hubert: got hurt & retired.

We aren't getting starters late because the starters are stacked with guys drafted 1st-3rd. And because FA/trades helped the rebuild. Often with guys dtafted high. 

On O: Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon are studs we drafted Rd2 or sooner. We brought in FAs to start in 2022 at TE, C, RG  & RT. It made zero sense to take another tackle with Jonah there. That's 10/11 spots. Volson was a 4th Rd pick. Hurst was a 1st (replacing CJ), Cappa a 3rd, Karras a 6th, Collins UFA. 

On D: Hubbard, Wilson, Pratt, Bates, and CTB are guys we drafted Rd2 or Rd 3. We brought in established studs in Reader (5th) & Hendrickson (3rd) plus solid vets like Hilton & Bell. That's 9 spots. Awuzie (2nd) and Apple (1st) were fantastic rehab jobs as FAs. And BJ Hill (3rd) via trade. 

The Chiefs are years ahead of us in their arc of contention. As Burrow & the others get raises, we'll have to rely more on draft picks & less on FAs to be starter level guys. We will not be able to afford them. But most of our FAs we got in rebuilding (Awuzie, Bell, Reader, Hendrickson, etc) are still getting paid, & those decisions will be upcoming. 

Again, I am mot comparing us vs the Chiefs. Just saying that under ZT, we have gotten about what I'd expect out of our 4th-7th guys on a team that starts a lot of FAs: mostly quality depth guys (C. Sample, ADG, Bailey, etc) and a couple starters (Volson, McPherson). And we've missed on a couple. And a couple got hurt. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys" - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-06-2023, 01:40 AM