Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(03-09-2023, 10:51 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I can understand your concern with pass blocking but you sometimes have to take less in one attribute to get what you want in another. Tyjae Spears is a legit playmaker in that the backfield that has the chance to go the distance every time he touches the ball. He was not really used at Tulane in pass blocking so this may not be a strength of his. This is where the coaching staff must adjust their schemes to account for these things, but I do not believe you pass on what this kid brings to the field because of this.

I do want a scary RB, Gibbs and Spears fit this mold. Haven't had that Back that can just take it the distance here since maybe Dillon
and he was more of a big RB that would wear down Defenses before taking it the distance.

(03-09-2023, 01:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Any team is going to keep Gibbs passpro opportunities to a minimum. Probably more a chip and release to the flat or just a quick flat on most 3rd downs he's in. Gibbs is more 1st and 2nd down, 'bust one at any time' back. His comps are guys like Kamara and Cook and i'd take that all day, regardless of his blocking ability. Speed kills.

Of course, it all depends on where you're looking to take a RB. If a T is taken in FA, that frees the way for a guy like Gibbs and his big play potential far outweighs his lack of blocking ability. If you take a back later in the draft, then you'd be better off going with a better blocker (assuming Perine/Mixon are still there). 

We would have to be creative and like you said use Gibbs or Spears on chips and releases like you say out in the flat. These are
rare backs that we haven't had here. I can understand a Bengal fan really banging the table for one. I guess we could take a flier 
on one of these guys if the RB coaches think they can teach whoever we take. Samaje helps as he is a good pass blocker.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-09-2023, 03:14 PM