Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the Bengals not clearing cap by restructuring deals?
(03-13-2023, 11:44 AM)Nepa Wrote: Every single year I see competitors that are over the cap and think they are in trouble, and the Bengals will have a big advantage in free agency. And every single year these competitors end up clearing cap space and get free agents.

Now the Browns? I thought they were dead in the water in terms of free agent signings. They were $14 million over the cap. But, they have managed to clear $36 million by restructuring the Watson deal. They are now free agent players.

"The Cleveland Browns have restructured the record-setting contract of quarterback Deshaun Watson, clearing $36 million in cap space ahead of free agency, a source told ESPN."

"Before restructuring Watson's deal, the Browns were roughly $14 million over the salary cap. Now, Cleveland has cap space heading into the free agency negotiating window."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35849938/source-browns-tweak-deshaun-watson-pact-36m-cap-space

The Browns were double screwed. No draft picks or cap room. They cleared some cap to help in free agency this year. The Browns are screwed as they have Myles Garrett and Nick Chubb to worry about too.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are the Bengals not clearing cap by restructuring deals? - Soonerpeace - 03-13-2023, 12:05 PM