Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(03-14-2023, 03:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Front Office is not keen on free agency amounts this year.  They weren’t as surprised as Jungle Nouse was on Vonn Bell. We were lucky getting him the first time and he felt this contract was paramount monetarily. They are high on Tycen Anderson. They will draft a safety and maybe add a solid low priced veteran on a one year deal. Don’t shoot the messenger

(03-14-2023, 03:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think we're going to feel Bates' absence in 2023. He didn't make a lot of splash plays and he wasn't a punishing tackler, but his instincts and range probably prevented more plays than any of us realize.

Bell, on the other hand, was good, but a significant portion of his contribution to the team was as an emotional leader. I thought we'd keep him for sure because we knew Bates was gone and we wouldn't want to replace both starters in a single season since Lou's scheme seems to be fairly complicated. I think we'll probably give up more big plays than we did in 2022 just from the unfamiliarity with Lou's scheme causing some confusion with 2 new safety starters.

All told, we had 28 turnovers (13 INT, 15 FF) last year and 11 of them (8 INT, 3 FF) just left the building.

Pratt staying, however, may make up for a fair amount of that. He was a playmaker in every sense of the word for our defense. He led the team in passes defensed with 10 and had 3 turnovers as well (2 INT, 1 FF and FR, same play). He was also a key figure in the Sam Hubbard TD return as he is the one who held at the point of attack.

I think our defense is currently worse than it was last year, but if we sign a good veteran safety like CJGJ or Thornhill, we're probably at ~90% defensive strength and that's before the draft, where I hope we add a good cornerback and pass rusher (as well as getting Awuzie back).

If we just roll with Tycen, I'll be concerned though. a 5th round 2nd year player who didn't play a snap as your de facto starting SS is...not good. That's something bad teams do. Championship teams don't let unproven, low drafted players get uncontested starting spots.

The key to getting back to the Super Bowl next year will be all about the offensive line, which is why it's frustrating that we haven't addressed RT yet.

I dont see any way in which we simply roll with Tycen.  He is not a good a coverage safety and he has never played a snap in the NFL.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted. - casear2727 - 03-14-2023, 03:48 PM
Free Agency Three Days in - Joelist - 03-15-2023, 09:57 PM