Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical Cap if we cut or trade players
(03-21-2023, 12:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: It does seem like quite a bit of cap space left.

I was reading an article about the Buffalo Bills and thought it was quite insightful on the cap situation. I just don't know how much cap needs to be reserved for (1) practice squad players; (2) 2023 draft picks, and (3) costs for potential injuries.

From the article: 

"Beane said the Bills will have about $9 million in cap space once everything is processed with some of that needing to be reserved for things like the practice squad (about $3.5 million last year), the team’s 2023 draft picks, and costs for potential injuries.

In other words, the Bills don't have much to work with unless they restructure more contracts . . . It's something Beane said he’s not against doing “but the more you do, then the bigger that avalanche gets years down the line.” 

Coming off the cap going down with COVID, we're trying to work our way out so that we don't have just a teardown, . . .," Beane said. "Just like, 'Man, we can't do anymore. We gotta get rid of some of these huge salaries,' and the only way to do it is either try to kick it further down the road, making it harder, or start trading, releasing, and taking those hits. So, we're trying not to do that."

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/37925/where-the-bills-stand-ahead-of-free-agencys-second-wave-and-what-could-be-next

Only top 51 players count towards cap. So practice players have zero impact on cap dollars. Draft picks for 2023 are already counted based on us having 7 picks, so the cap numbers I presented are calculating our signed players plus all of our draft picks.

CINCINNATI BENGALS CAP TOTALS

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetical Cap if we cut or trade players - Luvnit2 - 03-21-2023, 01:52 PM