Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appalachian Trail
(03-23-2023, 10:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Excellent point.  Make sure to have some moleskin / second skin (or whatever they are called these days) in your first aid kit for dealing with blisters or burns.  While on the subject of feet, sock liners can help to lighten your pack.  If you aren't familiar with them, they are super thin and lightweight liners that you wear on your feet underneath your socks.  This allows you to reuse your thick hiking/trekking socks throughout the trip, while just changing the thin liners daily.  Not only are you cutting weight because of carrying fewer pairs of socks, feet are supposedly less susceptible to blistering with the liners.

My first aid kit and my blister kit are out of control and need to be edited down. But, I know as soon as I get rid of something I'm going to need it and not have it.

I got moleskin, hydrocolloid bandages, fixomull tape, tincture of benzoin, Engo patches, Zen toes in S/M/L, and foot powder. I'm trying some 2 Toms foot powder for the first time. (For burns I have Xeroform gauze, hydrogel pads, and good ol' aloe vera.)

I use Darn Tough wool socks for hiking.  Back in the day I would wear thin polypro liners under the Army issued wool socks for road marching.

I'm currently using Merrell MCQ2 boots because I need the ankle support in one ankle due to torn ligaments. They are vented and not waterproof.  I've tried a pair of Salomon and Lowa over the last two years.  And both were comfortable, but the waterproof membrane made my feet sweat too much.

I've got a problem packing too much shit.  An example of a no shit, there I was knee deep in hand grenade pins story . . . 

At Ft. Polk for JRTC with 101st as a battalion PA, they stuck me on the first lift of an air field seizure with no other medics. Only medical equipment I had was what I could carry. I was worried a mass cas could eat through my supplies before other medics hit the ground. So I stole a wheeled trash can from the chow hall under cover of darkness, scrubbed it out, packed it with medical supplies, 550 corded it a Humvee which was sling loaded in. And there I was wheeling this trash can full of medical supplies across the airfield . . . because I was worried about being unprepared and needing something and not having it rather than having it and not needing it.

I change socks and powder my feet everyday. That little bit of extra weight is nominal. Extra socks, a woobie, smoking jacket, and my nomex neck gaitor are worth their weight in gold. Except as a civilian my gear is nicer than what the Army provided.  I have a Gregory backpack and almost shed a tear when I put it on it was so much more comfortable than a rucksack.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Appalachian Trail - SunsetBengal - 03-20-2023, 01:20 PM
RE: Appalachian Trail - XenoMorph - 03-20-2023, 04:20 PM
RE: Appalachian Trail - Synric - 03-20-2023, 06:04 PM
RE: Appalachian Trail - jfkbengals - 03-20-2023, 07:32 PM
RE: Appalachian Trail - grampahol - 03-21-2023, 09:11 AM
RE: Appalachian Trail - Goalpost - 03-21-2023, 10:27 AM
RE: Appalachian Trail - jfkbengals - 03-23-2023, 10:01 PM
RE: Appalachian Trail - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-24-2023, 12:23 AM
RE: Appalachian Trail - grampahol - 03-25-2023, 09:24 PM