Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer
(03-27-2023, 02:41 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh no doubt he is ready on Day 1. However, I want more from my first round pick. I want a guy that had the ability to continue to climb the ladder as opposed to being at their pinnacle. Do not get me wrong I like Mayer just not at #28. I feel that when you watch him you are seeing a player that has sort of maxed out his athleticism. I Could certainly be wrong.

I don't think he'll suddenly become Michael Vick, but I think he's still growing physically and hasn't reached his max.

Even if he has, we don't need a tight end that's super-athletic.

I get it that that's what a guy like Washington is, and it's nice to see athletic plays on the highlight real, but I just want our tight end to be a consistent target that's sure-handed, runs good routes, and can move the sticks, which is exactly what Mayer is.

Our receivers are the ones that we need to be the athletic freaks, but Mayer is athletic enough to at least occupy defenders, especially with his route running.

If Burrow looks to Chase and then maybe even Higgins as his #2 option, and they're both covered, I want Burrow to feel confident in knowing that he has Mayer in the middle of the field that he can look to and gain 7-to-10 yards as an outlet, and then obviously more on plays where he's the #2 or even #1 option on routes downfield, which looking at Chase to start the play draws the safeties out to him, which leaves Mayer one-on-one with a backer.

Washington could be the pick with the higher upside, but Mayer's the safer pick and would still make our offense VERY tough to stop.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer - BFritz21 - 03-22-2023, 03:37 PM
RE: CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer - BFritz21 - 03-27-2023, 03:26 PM
RE: CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer - CJD - 03-23-2023, 10:21 AM